Federal Ammo

W

w5i2n

I recently attended a gun show and was able to find two bricks of Federal .22 ammo. It is marked UM1 and both bricks have the same lot number. There is a picture of an olympic shooter holding a round on the box. Is this the good stuff? I am afraid to open one and test it because it is still in the shrink wrap. I think the year 1993 is on the package. What would you do with it?

Well

I'd SHOOT it!!! What would you do with rimfire ammo?

Um1

What Lot# is it? I have some of two different Lot#'s 1608 & 511.
Semper Fi

Federal

The Lot number should be stamped/printed on the bottom of the brick/carton. No need to take the shrink wrap off.
If the number is 19xx or lower, that was premium stuff.

I looked at the red numbers through the wrap and it is 1423 on both bricks. I don't shoot competition anymore so it is kind of wasted on me. Mike

If it is printed in red, it is probably the later stuff that they rebadged. Stay away from it. As noted above the lot numbers under 2000 were the good ones, but like any ammo there were some that worked in your gun and some that did not. At this point who knows how many heat cycles it has gone thru, and the lube is probably dry and crusty. If you could obtain it real cheap, it might be worth the gamble, but then again with only 2 bricks why bother.

What do you mean by rebadged?

I Don’t understand what you mean by rebadged I still have six bricks of Gold Medal Match 900B which is lot 1924, one brick that is lot 2017, and one brick of Ultra Match 1000B which is lot 1921. All of them have the lot numbers printed in red and all of them are 11-12 years old. My understanding that UM1 came before the 1000B and was all very good stuff.

I used to shoot Fed and did very well with it. There came a time that the Fed Co. decided to stop making top grade match ammo. However they did not just come out and say so. On the UM1, anything after lot 2000 was junk. As soon as shooter realized this, the company started to rebadge the crap with criptic numbers and red lettering. It is not the same stuff that was winning matches. If you have the older, good stuff with black lettering and lot numbers below 1500 or so, use it befoe the lube goes dry. If you have Fed with the red lettering, shoot it and report your scores. My bet is that you won't be able to win a club match with it.

John Harris

p.s. the UM1 and the 900b were produced at the same time

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently attended a gun show and was able to find two bricks of Federal .22 ammo. It is marked UM1 and both bricks have the same lot number. There is a picture of an olympic shooter holding a round on the box. Is this the good stuff? I am afraid to open one and test it because it is still in the shrink wrap. I think the year 1993 is on the package. What would you do with it?

Is it for sale? If so how much? Or better yet list it in the classified section. If you bought it for plinking ammo shoot it. You can bet it will be better than the bulk Federal or Remington crap.

D R
PS: If you list it please PM with the info. TIA dr

Back