Federal 205M & 205

Doug Penttinen

"TESTED TEXAS TUFF"
I'm sure that plenty of you out there have experimented with this but to date I have not and I was just wondering and I hope it is not a stupid question but in the BR world of high tech, powders and bullets is there a big or noticeable difference in Federal 205M and Federal 205 primers ? Before anybody answers or says this "Sure the one has an "M" and the other does not, that much I know ...LOL

Just wondering about performance wise

Doug,
Have shot many thousands of both and can't see any difference but for some reason I keep buying the Ms. I was told the only difference is a visual inspection but really not sure. I remember seeing a test in the old Precision Shooting magazine in which the author took pictures of the flame of most br primers but can't find the issue. Maybe someone can jump in that remembers the test.
Larry

Primers

Doug...........don`t remember who/when but a lot of high speed pics were taken and published years ago.......
google the subject and hit images in tool bar...it shows the fire length and intensity of most primers.

Doug,
Have shot many thousands of both and can't see any difference but for some reason I keep buying the Ms.

i predict if the powder makers slapped big red labels on jugs of powder that said "Match Grade" everybody would buy it at a higher price. We are that way, dangle a carrot in front of us with something that is supposed to be more consistent and we are on it. I too have shot 205's with great success but given the choice I take the 205m's in the hope they are better.

Dick

Wow and Thanks

Wow

Thanks to everybody for all the answers and it seems as though it is pretty unanimous all the way around the board..I do like the answer from Dick about the Big RED label... It's all about marketing for sure on a lot of things.

That's one less thing off my backorder list I'm taking off. I still have plenty of 205 M primers but the wait for them is ridiculous so I'm not even going to worry about it. I'm going to the range and shoot away......

Thanks again everybody for your answers. Hope everybody has a great upcoming Christmas Holiday

Doug,
Have shot many thousands of both and can't see any difference but for some reason I keep buying the Ms. I was told the only difference is a visual inspection but really not sure. I remember seeing a test in the old Precision Shooting magazine in which the author took pictures of the flame of most br primers but can't find the issue. Maybe someone can jump in that remembers the test.
Larry

You are absolutely correct. I was told this in my local gun shop while talking with a Federal sales rep. He did look around and made sure that no one else was going hear what was telling me. Hope this helps. Tony

Back