Federal 205 GM Primers

Wolf Primer

Hey thanks Jerry

The depth was making me curious since they are a little smaller. I'm a weekend warrior shooter and don't shoot enough to be able to tell alot of difference like most of you guys can. I do understand the striking distance for the firing pin. I remember when I used to measure every primer, put them in they own box, lable it and use a primer seater that would mic them each time at the same depth. Talk about extra work Geeeeeee. There are enough different things to worry about let alone the seating depth of the primer.
Myself I will probably stick with the CCI BR-4 primmer and give it some more daylight and bench time.
When I first got into benchrest about 6/7 years ago thats what I started with and then changed over to federal. I dont want any of the bench rest guys that might read this to take it wrong, but sometimes it monkey see monkey do, Not saying it was wrong but I just got comfortable with Federal.
Anyway thanks again for the answers and the help.

Doug in Dallas

Shipping

Doug, they have to be shipped as hazardous by UPS and I don't think an individual can do that. How much does Bruno get for them? The regular 205s are the same thing.
Butch

As long as you are not buying from a dealer or manufacture, an individual can ship powders or primers without the HAZ-MAT fee.

Fed 205 gm primers

Woody i haven't tried the small rifle wolf standard primer. Tat being said i have had several fiends put me on to the sr wolf mags. Ignition in both of my stolle ppcs is excellet. i'm not having any problems that i can see.
I like the br $ primer better also. I like that hard cup. Believe me they are really good.
just try 1m and you will see At about $20 they are a steal. They are very constistant over the chro screens. Sd just by changing primers went down fron 25 to 30 to 7 to 9 fps.

The above reference

came from the HAZ-MAT department at SONGS. They know more about the ins and outs of hazardous material shipping than all of us combined will ever know.

I did this very thing

What is legal and what is allowed (and how) by the carrier is not always the same. Go ahead, take a box of primers or a keg of powder down to UPS and tell them you want to ship it. Please let us know what they tell you.

Adrian

not long ago to one of the members here on this forum. Shipped via UPS. 10,000 primers and 12, 1 pound containers of H322. I told the gentleman at the counter (the manager of the store) what the boxes contained. His response was "And?". I have shipped numerous guns through them without any hassle or questions. It has more to do with the individual working at UPS than anything else. FED-EX has never given me a problem either. As for the legality, it's legal. Spend a few hours and read the info on the site I referenced.

RStiefel,
I didn't see anything at all with what you referenced. Do you have anything specific that you can refer me to? I visited with the postmaster just 30 minutes ago and we got the big book out. You cannot ship them by the US Mail. The way that I read the UPS regs. you can only ship if you are a customer that they qualify to ship by UPS. I have some powder that I paid for over a year ago and haven't received it yet. I am waiting on somebody that is coming this way and will bring it close. Maybe I can pick it up at the Super Shoot.
Butch

Butch

RStiefel,
I didn't see anything at all with what you referenced. Do you have anything specific that you can refer me to? I visited with the postmaster just 30 minutes ago and we got the big book out. You cannot ship them by the US Mail. The way that I read the UPS regs. you can only ship if you are a customer that they qualify to ship by UPS. I have some powder that I paid for over a year ago and haven't received it yet. I am waiting on somebody that is coming this way and will bring it close. Maybe I can pick it up at the Super Shoot.
Butch

I would have to start reading it again. This is hundreds of pages long. The USPS won't ship them. That is something they choose to do. The gentleman I sent these to is a part of this group. If he chooses not to chime in during this discussion, he probably does not want to debate this issue. The UPS regs read as you state. The legality as written by the DOT pertains to the shipping by dealers and manufactures. Legally, they can be shipped by an individual without the fees. One will do as one chooses.

What is legal and what is allowed (and how) by the carrier is not always the same. Go ahead, take a box of primers or a keg of powder down to UPS and tell them you want to ship it. Please let us know what they tell you.

Adrian
Wasn't UPS the first to charge a special fee for powder and primers.

Federal 205 GM primers

YES Jerry and they are the first to argue for increases in HaZ mat

You sure have been here on earth

Wasn't UPS the first to charge a special fee for powder and primers.

for a few years. Yes, they were the first. The DOT has never mandated a fee for shipping hazardous material. We ship out enormous amounts of radioactive material every week and don't pay a HAZMAT fee.

Last year I was able to get all the 205M that I wanted at $160.00/5,000, don't know if it is still available, I can check I won't ship but will bring to the SS if someone needs some. People can pick it up here as well if I can still get it.

Dan Honert

If we are to follow

the letter of the law, per 49CFR, we can't transport powder or primers in our personal vehicles without the proper paperwork, packaging and HAZMAT training either. They would be considered "in commerce". Where does it end???

So, we are saying that the Fed (DOT, ICC, BATF, whoever) just require certain things to happen. Labeling, packaging, certification of product, etc and such.

Then some of the commercial carriers are the ones that set the Haz-Mat fees.

Amazing, isn't it that we keep using the same carriers.

Transport

Per RStiefel's E -mail about transporting powder and primers in our own personal vehicles with out the proper paperwork. That means if we get stoped going to the gun range we are in trouble to.... Nice touch

Shelf life of primers

If stored in a dry cool place I would expect them to have very long shelf life. I am shooting 15 years old primers and dont feel any difference from new ones.

BA

This is why

YES Jerry and they are the first to argue for increases in HaZ mat

I avoid using UPS @ all costs. I always request USPS when I order something. I have always thought that either an item was safe to ship or it isn't. Simply charging more money to do it doesn't do one thing except cost more. There is no special handeling for the stuff we buy. They have Hijacked all of us so I say boycot them.

Back