Federal 205 GM Primers

Doug Penttinen

"TESTED TEXAS TUFF"
Does anyone live close to Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey??? I found 10,000 primers but the guy can not ship.....

I'll split them with somebody

$$$

The guy is asking $35.00 per thousand. I'm not sure why he can not ship. I only talked to him for about 3 minutes.

I told him after he said he had 10k I would take at least 3 and he said I would have to come pick them up.. !!!!
Long drive from Dallas

Doug, they have to be shipped as hazardous by UPS and I don't think an individual can do that. How much does Bruno get for them? The regular 205s are the same thing.
Butch

primers

I may go back to my original loads using my CCI BR primers which seemed to shoot pretty darn good today.
When I started in BR I used CCI BR primers and did darn good so it might be back to the drawing board before long

Doug ...

I may go back to my original loads using my CCI BR primers which seemed to shoot pretty darn good today.
When I started in BR I used CCI BR primers and did darn good so it might be back to the drawing board before long

If you're referring to BR4s, I called CCI yesterday and they told me there are none in production, haven't produced any in about 8 months due to technical problems, and don't know when production will start again. If you have some, best use them sparingly.

CCI Br Primers

I have someone holding 1000 for me for pick up tomorrow plus I still have about 2000 here on the shelf

Dumb question, Do primers have a shelf life?

Federal 205 GM primers.

Try some wolf primers. Get the small riflle mag s
Powder valley stock them . They are very close to cci br4 with a hard cup and the flash is close to the 205. They are a steal right now.

Gerry, Mag primers?

Try some wolf primers. Get the small riflle mag s
Powder valley stock them . They are very close to cci br4 with a hard cup and the flash is close to the 205. They are a steal right now.

I've read that the only difference between the Wolf SR and SRMag primers is the cup material with the Mag being recommended for semi autos. With a PPC cartridge, which I assume is what we're talking about here, I can't see why a Mag primer would be an advantage over a plain SR primer. Unless the SR cup is so soft that you run the risk of piercing primers in high pressure loads.

In fact, I would think the harder cup might require more striking energy to detonate and possibly lead to ignition issues. Just curious if you've tried them both and what lead to the preference of Mag primers?
thanks -- Scott

Wideners is showing 167 thousand Wolf SRP's at $20/K or $95/5K. Chris Lee keeps their on-line inventory quantities pretty accurate.

I've used the Wolf SRP's. On the chrono or on paper I can't tell any difference from 205GM's. They do measure 0.0005" larger in diameter and 0.005" shorter than the 205GM's I measured.

Primer Pocket

Guess you do NOT have to do anything to the primer pocket for the wolf primers.... Since they measure 0.0005 larger in dia.

Jerry
I am assuming that you have tried the wolf primer in a 6 PPC. Do they seem consistent ?
I do not shoot a 6PPC, I shoot two 40 degree shoulder variants of the PPC. One holds 2.5 grains more than the PPC and the other holds 3/4 grain less, but I'm sure the results would be the same.

The Wolf primer would be good especially if your primer pockets are getting loose. Most CCI primers I use, mainly the CCI450 are about 0.0005" larger than the 205GM's also.

The only issue I would suspect with the Wolf is them being 0.005" shorter. On a sho-nuff benchrest action some shooters try to keep firing pin travel and spring pressure at about minimum (20 # on the spring and 0.050" on the pin extension). This might cause a problem. It didn't in my Pandas but I keep them at 24-26#, 0.250" travel, and 0.055" extension. Kelblys gunsmiths check mine every 2 years.

Back