Fed 210's-different primer pellet colors ??

R

relodr36

I opened a new brick(2009) of Federal Champion 210's yesterday and noticed that the majority of them had red primer pellet but 13 out of 112 had a green primer pellet.
I normally use Winchester or CCI and have never seen this in those brands
What's the story on this?
I plan to call Federal on Monday,but thought one of you folks may have the answer.
Thanks !

Got champion 210's, 215's and gm210m's with the reddish purplish paint but never ever seen green on a federal primer.

They probly didnt get any goop on em.

The primer is a green color without all the identification color stuff or "goop" on them.

I had a lot of 210m's about 5yrs ago that had 10 to 15 primers per 100 that were bare.

Some people were talking about sorting them out & shooting them in lots of thier own kind. I think Shehane mentioned it in the book Precision Shooting @ 1000yds.

I never could see a differance on the target or the chronograph so I shot em as they came out of the box.

Now that I think of it, I DQ'd @ the nationals w/those primers in 2005, maybe you should try sorting them.;)(Like the primers caused the disqualification?:rolleyes:)

Last edited:
I had something like that a few years back - a brick of GM210s with some of the anvils on color & some another & likewise the cake that you could see under the paint two colors. I emailed them & they said they came off two separate assembly lines.

I use CCI & PMC these days - & a smattering of RWS,

Primers

With the primer shortage, Federal has had to sweep the floor to
fill the little trays. Not only that, but every wide spot in the road in
USA has a swat team and they need primers to. Are the parking lots
at the primer plants empty or are we selling them to canada and mexico.?

The anvils are red and the green pellets appear to have not had the red Stuff(?) applied.

Thats what I'm talking about.

Shoot some of them & you will see there aint no differance between them & the ones that have got the red "stuff" on them.

As for the green colored priming compound, I dont remember it being any other way. You dont usually see it under all that red "stuff" that Federal puts on them.

BTW:The color is added for identification purposes so you dont get them mixed up with other types/brands etc.

Last edited:
Thank you!

One thing that does bother me is that it's a sign of lackadaisical Quality Control!

Mike,
I was put on hold and got tired waiting after 10 minutes,so I hung up and sent them an e-mail(12/14).
Today (12/22),I got this answer:

Subject: RE: Federal Premium - Ask the Expert Form
In-reply-to: <1F99A68F6F5C4E9B995326065896C7BA@atk.com>
X-Originating-IP: [138.64.2.10]
Can you please attach pictures to this email so we can better understand
what you are referring to?

Thank you

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 5:23 PM
To: Prodserv
Subject: Federal Premium - Ask the Expert Form

I opened a new brick(2009) of Federal Champion 210's yesterday and
noticed that the majority of them had a red primer pellet but 13 out of
112 had a green primer pellet.
It appeared as if the green pellets had not had the sealant(?) applied.
What's the story?

So,I'll send them some pix and see what they say.

Back