Favorite 62gr .750 jacket bullets

My current barrel shoots great with 29.2gr of h322 and .750 jacket 62gr bergers. Now I'm not looking to get in an argument with my barrel but I would like to try at least ONE more bullet of this description. Does anybody have a bullet to suggest?

Tim J.

Butch, I really should know that. I have always been hesitant to jam up bullets incase I have to eject a live one. The thing is I never had to do that so it time to get a pair! Thanks Tim J.

Technically, seating into the rifling is not the same as seating at jam. IMO the correct definition of jam is the maximum length to which a particular bullet may be seated without being pushed back as the bolt is closed, with the neck tension that will be used when loading. Depending on neck tension, engagement, leade angle, and bullet ogive shape there is some range between the point that a bullet with no neck tension is stopped by the rifling, and jam. Within this range there is a lot of room for tuning, that is short of the point where a bullet would be pulled if a live round had to be unchambered. I believe that within the range between jam and touch, seating depths may be accurately described as so many thousandths longer than touch, or so many thousandths shorter than or off jam. When shooter post that they are jammed .010, I think that this is incorrect usage of a term that they have seen but never had properly defined. In this case, I would properly describe the seating depth as .010 longer than touch. If we use words in a standard manner, I think that better understanding will be the result.

When I am loading a single radius, tangent ogive bullet that has an ogive of about 7 radius , like the Watson, 62 gr. (.750 jacket) bullets that I have, I like to start with the marks (mde by the rifling as the round is chambered) about a third to a half as long as they are wide. With pointier bullets , I like much longer marks (longer than wide).

If loading longer than touch is new to you, and you are concerned about pulling bullets if you have to unchamber a loaded round, a little experimenting, with dummy rounds will give you the length of jam, and how far you need to back off of that to insure that bullets will not be pulled. For my varmint rifles I usually start testing .006 to .010 longer than touch, and am usually able to find a workable load within that range. Working within that range,I have never puller a bullet at the neck tensions that I use.

We also have just tried some of Ronnie cheeks bullets and the initial results were really good. I also got ahold of some original fower bullets. i havent shot them yet so i cant report. My shooting Pard loves them!! Lee

Boyd, excellent explaination. I'll admit I had to read it four times to wrap my head around it but very useful. The man who taught me to handload did a great job in most respects but his loyalty to lord Weatherby did not allow us much conversation relating to seating depths. So I've been on my own and am either ambad teacher or bad student of myself. Also you like Watson bullets. How do you obtain those? Have never seen an ad.

Tim J.

Brady Knight

Also makes a 62 gr .790 bullet. Its the only thing that works for me in this very cold weather that were having. When it warms up, I switch back to the .825's

The current Cheek bullet we are testing with good results are his .750 jacket 65gr 8ogive. Testing has been minimal due to the weather but the results look very very promising!! Anyone else shooting these bullets? Lee

I'm making my own right now. I have an order for 500 for one of my members of our club. He likes them in his 6/47 [ Rem mag}
I have one also in the improved model and it shoots really well. Mine are on Simonson dies and a 7 1/2 ogive fb design.
some of the powders we use are H322, H4198 and H 4895. At 100 yds it shoots Great.

Back