Farley carry case

D

dlr

A couple of years ago there was a post on a hard carry case for a Farley rest. After doing something to my shoulder this weekend while lifting a box with a Farley rest, a mini gator filled with heavy sand, elbow bag, a bag I use for a wrist support, and all the misc. stuff, I've decided to use several boxes and maybe avoid a hernia. I've done searches but haven't found what i'm looking for. Does anyone remember?
Thanks,
Don Ross

Have talked with Sinclair. They no longer carry. Pelican's web site does not list that size.

A couple of years ago there was a post on a hard carry case for a Farley rest. After doing something to my shoulder this weekend while lifting a box with a Farley rest, a mini gator filled with heavy sand, elbow bag, a bag I use for a wrist support, and all the misc. stuff, I've decided to use several boxes and maybe avoid a hernia. I've done searches but haven't found what i'm looking for. Does anyone remember?
Thanks,
Don Ross

Buy the Farley soft case wonderful Cary solution as it doesn't add much weight. Of course you have to figure out what you can handle and pack accordingly. Good luck

Don,
There are many assorted sizes, new and used on e-bay.
I'm sure there is a size you can use maybe even one with wheels?!
Pete

A few years ago I bought a heavy used Wichita front rest. It was delivered in an old Smith-Corona portable typewriter case. Very sturdy-very handy if you can find one.

Thanks for all the suggestions.I bought the Stanley box, on line, right after I got the Farley. The measurements are at the top and the sides taper. The rest would only fit in by turning it on the side. The plates that hold the bag are not secured so everthing falls out. Anyway, I wanted to transport the rest on its base. The wheel wells on the inside of the box also limlted the space.

After looking over 900+ items on ebay I found a Pelican and have it on my watch list. It's already over $50 + $35. shipping with 3 days left. I'm guessing it'll go for $150 + shipping. All the military boxes are big and no improvement over what I'm using now.

The typewriter case is interesting. Finding right size might take a while. Have looked a soft case on Farley's web site. Might be possibility. I'm thinking making, or having made, plywood cases at correct size may be way to go. A small folding hand truck and a couple of bungee cords should work. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Don

I understand. I have a T shaped piece of timber I sit the points of my stand on when carrying it & I used that to test that my rest would fit - which it did, but only when angled across the box.

As they do in Texas

Get a plastic milk, or perhaps more familiar to some readers of this forum, beer crate. (Try the Container Store or any East Texas back alley) Remove the rest handle and place the rest and handle in the crate. Place the rear bag, side bag etc. in on top of the rest depending on the hernia factor. Cover with an old pair of your underwear. Vola! a Texas rest box. Tim

Last edited:
Have seen the "Texas rest box", minus the underware, used in the Carolinas for many years. One of the first matches I went to in the '90s I watched David Tooley unloading his gear and his rests (he had several for some reason) were piled in milk crates. Yesterday, the auction for the Pelican 1560 box I had been watching on Ebay ended and I "won" it for a little less than $150 including shipping. The interior is 20.4x15.4x9". The foam interior can be configured the way you want. With rest, rear bag, weight should be a little over 40 lb. + weight of box. It's small enough that it can be handled without getting in an awkward position. It's bright orange so it should be hard to lose.

Was in Sam's Club the other day and noticed the hand truck they sell. Looks good. Has inflateable tires big enough to easily roll on gravel and it could be used either vertical or laid over. Nice construction. They were about $79. Plan on grabbing one next trip.
Don

Don, There is a reason that you saw the Texas rest box minus the underwear in the Carolinas for many years. This is because for many years now people in the Carolinas have not worn any. Are you from there perhaps? Tim

action packer box

Lowe's sells an "action packer" box for about 18.00 that'll hold a farley or seb and a bag. kinda tight but ok.

Tim, that would be us. If you leave the top side buttons unfastened on your overalls it makes scratching so much easier. Some say the no underwear thing was just a transition from kilt to overalls but I'm inclined to think it was just a comfort thing.

View attachment 12650 Got the Pelican case yesterday. Attached is photo if antone is interested on how it turned out. Weighs more than I expected, 59.5 lb. Should still be easier to transport because of smaller size and not having to extend arms to pick up.

Back