Famous Aircraft, this one was there

TomD

e publius unum
I don't know how many of you are aircraft fanatics like me, but if you haven't found the Naval Air Museum on Base at NAS Pensacola, you've missed one of the best. It ranks with the Smithsonian and Wright-Patterson. And they now have approved a 55,000 sq-ft expansion. It will still be crowded.

Their website lists all of their exhibits and gives their pedigree. It turns out that the pictured Douglas Dauntless dive bomber not only was present at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th but it also took part in the Battle of Midway, the turning point of the Pacific War. It was one of only 9 aircraft returning from it's squadron. I can't imagine the value of this aircraft. You would almost think they would have it under glass.

This type of dive bomber sunk 5 Japanese carriers in the pivotal Battles of Coral Sea (1) and Midway (4) in early 1942, breaking the back of Japanese Naval Aviation. The Japanese never recovered. If it hadn't been for those battles, the Military Channel would have to find something to fill in for 30% of their programming.

DSC01526.jpg

I

That is a beautiful photograph Tom. It is the kind of airplane that I built as models in the late 40s and early 50s. if you have more photos, as I know you do, please share them with us.

Concho Bill

air museum

Thanks for the picture of the Dauntless. Guys that flew them was our greatest generation. They sure had the nerve for the mission. Thanks Guys.
Couple other museums worth a look. Warner Robins AFB GA. has a good one and Pima County Az. has one outside Davis Monthan AFB. It's a great display. Many historical aircraft.

That is a beautiful photograph Tom. It is the kind of airplane that I built as models in the late 40s and early 50s. if you have more photos, as I know you do, please share them with us.

Concho Bill

OK, I've got three or four more pictures. ;)

The 3rd down is the Naval version of the F86 Saber Jet. The AF version had 3 x 50 cal on each side and the Naval 2 X 20mm. I'm sure there were some other differences--

3564829599_ac4686726f_b.jpg

3564831689_be9ff54636_b.jpg

3564844749_b6442c5abb_b.jpg

2909842204_124e4ab7e9_b.jpg

3342510992_8c088a7df7_b.jpg

3293506143_8b6b99b432_b.jpg

3374880173_69b73aa382_b.jpg

TomD,

In 1970 when I was discharged from the Navy I got an apartment just outside Albany, New York. Next to the apartments was a farm and along side on old barn there was a Douglas Dauntless dive bomber just like in your picture. I always thought that it should have been restored, but it was in pretty bad shape. :(

gt40

Beautiful pictures. I had a cousin that flew P-38's out of England during WWII. I still have a bunch of the 8x10 pics that he sent me of different planes that he flew. After war he flew for TWA. Lived in NYC and flew the big Connies from there to London then Johannsburg (sp) South Africa then back to NYC. This got boring so he became a test pilot for Bell Aircraft. This was during the time of the Bell X1. He later worked for the Army and was the only pilot of the ill fated Hummingbird, of which only 2 were built. He lost his life during the testing of this plane. He was coming in for a landing and began to slow down. The engine had a flame out and he guided it to an empty field to keep from hitting a residential area. This was at Huntsville Alabama. My aunt, his mother sent me newspaper clippings that I carried for years. His name was William Ingram. This site shows a pic of the plane and since he was the only pilot he is in the cockpit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XV-4_Hummingbird He was about 15 years older than me and was my idol. I last saw him in about 1962 or 63.

Tom ...

I don't know how many of you are aircraft fanatics like me, but if you haven't found the Naval Air Museum on Base at NAS Pensacola, you've missed one of the best. It ranks with the Smithsonian and Wright-Patterson. And they now have approved a 55,000 sq-ft expansion. It will still be crowded.

Their website lists all of their exhibits and gives their pedigree. It turns out that the pictured Douglas Dauntless dive bomber not only was present at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th but it also took part in the Battle of Midway, the turning point of the Pacific War. It was one of only 9 aircraft returning from it's squadron. I can't imagine the value of this aircraft. You would almost think they would have it under glass.

This type of dive bomber sunk 5 Japanese carriers in the pivotal Battles of Coral Sea (1) and Midway (4) in early 1942, breaking the back of Japanese Naval Aviation. The Japanese never recovered. If it hadn't been for those battles, the Military Channel would have to find something to fill in for 30% of their programming.

DSC01526.jpg

I

I got my commission in Pensacola in 1973 and remember that museum very well. It was a beautiful structure, as the photo reveals. All the aircraft on display have been meticulously restored. If anyone ever gets near Pensacola Naval Air Station, the home of Naval Aviation, stop by the museum. You won't be disappointed.

As I recall they also had a great golf course that I used as often as possible when set free by our Marine Drill Instructions (DIs) while attending Aviation Officer Candidate School (AOCS). The GC was always my home when away from HOME.

Boy, does that bring back fond memories! Thanks for the photo. Art :)

Last edited:
Pensacola Naval Air Station

Tom,
We were in Pensacola March 3, and had a ball. We had over 25 members of VS-29 in for a 40 year reunion (1960-1973), and the Museum was one of the events. If you get to Pensacola, Fl. I would recommend go to Navy Air Museum a lot of great people there.
Go to vs29.org for more great photos.
“mac”

TomD,

In 1970 when I was discharged from the Navy I got an apartment just outside Albany, New York. Next to the apartments was a farm and along side on old barn there was a Douglas Dauntless dive bomber just like in your picture. I always thought that it should have been restored, but it was in pretty bad shape. :(

gt40

I think you would be surprised. The one pictured above spent 51 years on the bottom of Lake Michigan.

Aircraft history from Museum website pasted below:

Object Desciption Rolling off the Douglas Aircraft Company assembly line in El Segundo, California, in December 1940, SBD-2 Dauntless (Bureau Number 2106) was delivered to Bombing Squadron (VB) 2 at Naval Air Station (NAS) San Diego, California, on the last day of 1940. For the better part of the following year the aircraft flew with that squadron, logging hours flying from the deck of the aircraft carrier Lexington (CV 2) and participating in large-scale military maneuvers in Louisiana.

During the first week of December 1941, with Lexington earmarked to deliver aircraft of a Marine scout bombing squadron to Midway Atoll, the aircraft was off loaded from the carrier to make room for the additional aircraft and left at Pearl Harbor when "Lady Lex" put to sea. Thus, on the morning of 7 December 1941, it was on Ford Island in the middle of Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked. Put back aboard Lexington when she returned to Pearl, the aircraft embarked in the carrier to the South Pacific. On 10 March 1942, flown by Lieutenant (junior grade) Mark T. Whittier with Aviation Radioman Second Class Forest G. Stanley as his gunner, the aircraft joined 103 other planes from Lexington and Yorktown (CV 5) in a raid against Japanese shipping at Lae and Salamaua in New Guinea. Credited with pressing home his attack against a Japanese ship, Whittier received the Navy Cross.

When Lexington returned to Pearl Harbor following the raid, the museum's SBD-2 was again put ashore and earmarked for transfer to Marine Scout Bombing Squadron (VMSB) 241 on Midway Atoll, arriving there with eighteen other SBD-2s on 26 May 1942, on board the aircraft transport Kitty Hawk (APV 1).

On the morning of 4 June 1942, with 1st Lieutenant Daniel Iverson as pilot and Private First Class Wallace Reid manning the .30-caliber machine gun in the aft cockpit. the museum's aircraft was one of sixteen SBD-2s of VMSB-241 launched to attack Japanese aircraft carriers to the west of Midway. Approaching the enemy carrier Hiryu, the Marine planes came under fire from antiaircraft gunners and fighters of the enemy combat air patrol. Iverson, with two Japanese Zero fighters following him down in his dive, released his bomb at an altitude of 800 feet. During his egress from the target area, the pair of Zeroes on Iverson's tail were joined by two others, which pursued the Dauntless for miles. Enemy fire holed Iverson's plane 219 times, knocking out his hydraulic system and wounding Reid. One bullet came so close that it clipped Iverson's throat microphone chord. Nevertheless, the pilot managed to return to Midway, making a one-wheel landing on the atoll. His was one of only eight SBD-2s of VMSB-241 to return from the attack against the Japanese fleet. For their actions, Iverson received the Navy Cross and Reid was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Returned to the United States, the museum's SBD-2 was repaired and eventually assigned to the Carrier Qualification Training Unit (CQTU) at NAS Glenview, Illinois. On the morning of 11 June 1943, with Marine 2nd Lieutenant Donald A. Douglas, Jr., at the controls, the aircraft ditched in the waters of Lake Michigan during an errant approach to the training carrier Sable (IX 81). Douglas was retrieved from the water by a Coast Guard rescue boat, but his aircraft sank to the bottom of the lake.

Recovered in 1994, the aircraft underwent extensive restoration at the museum before being placed on public display in 2001. Elements of its original paint scheme when delivered to the fleet are still visible on its wings and tail surfaces. A survivor of the Pearl Harbor attack and two combat actions, including the famous Battle of Midway, it is one of the most historic aircraft in existence anywhere in the world.
Object Notes (2) 100 G.P. Bombs with PAM numbers: 0045 and 0069 have been placed on SBD BUNO 2106. They were removed from the Carrier Deck Island.
Place of Origin El Segundo, California
Notes No tactic represented naval aviation's rise to preeminence during World War II more than dive-bombing, and no aircraft embodied the success of this tactic more than the SBD Dauntless. An innovative design, the aircraft incorporated perforated dive-flaps, which stabilized and slowed it during bombing runs that routinely consisted of seventy-plus degree dives. The initial production aircraft entered service in 1940, and by the time the United States entered World War II, ten squadrons operated the SBD. During World War II, Dauntless pilots participated in all five of the war's great carrier battles, achieving their greatest victory at Midway, where they sank four Japanese carriers. Though their mount was slow in speed and lightly armed, SBD pilots and gunners also shot down 138 enemy aircraft. By July 1944, a total of 5,936 examples of the aircraft had rolled off the Douglas assembly line, far more than were ever originally planned and testament to the amazing capabilities of the outstanding aircraft of the Pacific War.

The museum holds fourteen examples of the SBD, including SBD-1 (BuNo 1612), the seventeenth production Dauntless off the assembly line. Four aircraft have documented combat histories. SBD-2 (BuNo 2106) is the only known surviving aircraft from the Battle of Midway, SBD-3 (BuNo 06508) flew from Henderson Field on Guadalcanal, and a pair of SBD-3s (BuNos 06624 and 06626) flew from USS Ranger (CV 4) during Operation Torch, the invasion of North Africa. All 14 aircraft were recovered from Lake Michigan.

Specifications

Manufacturer: Douglas Aircraft Company
Dimensions: Length: 32 ft., 8 in.; Height: 13 ft., 7 in., Wingspan: 41ft., 6 in.
Weight: Empty: 6,345 lb.; Gross: 10,400 lb.
Power Plant: One 1,000 horsepower Wright R-1820-52 engine
Performance: Maximum Speed: 250 M.P.H.; Service Ceiling: 27,100 ft.;
Maximum Range with Bomb Load: 1,345 miles
Armament: Two fixed forward-firing .50-in. guns, one flexible-mounted rear-firing .30-in.
guns, 1,200 lb. of ordnance
Crew: Pilot and gunner

memories

I had an uncle that passed away at the age of 82 who'd flown the Corsair for the Marines during WWll and my son had his wings presented to him during a ceremony at the Pensacola NAS. We (wife,son, dau, & myself)spent the rest of the day there-still was more to see/read/absorb. Yes, if you go to Pensacola-the NAS is a must see!:)Stan,share your sport

Re: F86 armament. Google 'project gunval'

Re: Test pilots. If the designers had to fly their ideas fewer test pilots would have been killed. I wonder if any test pilot ever refused to fly some of the creations of the 50's and 60's ?

I remember reading about Dauntless rear gunners figuring out that enemy fighter pilots would hang back until the gunner had used up all his ammunition then close in for the kill. Smart rear gunners apparently crammed an empty ammo can into their space to throw out as a decoy. The fighter would snuggle up for a sure kill and get hosed at close range by the rear gunner. Talk about guts and nerves of steel.

crb ...

Re: Test pilots. If the designers had to fly their ideas fewer test pilots would have been killed.

Designers are designers. Test pilots are pilots. Not all pilots can be designers. Not all designers can be pilots. Pilots don't have to decided to become Test Pilots. Each does what they do best. :)

TomD,

My brother and I were "plane brained" as youth and I still am. Several years ago while at my orthopaedic surgeons office in Asheville NC for a follow up exam after knee replacement I met an older gentleman in the waiting room. We had the same last name so when Mr. Morgan's name was called he and I both went to the desk. Since the receptionist was already talking to him I just comment "Mr. Morgan" my name is Jim Morgan. Later when I went back to the exam room I told my Dr. about the meeting. He said "do you know who that was?" No! "Well have you heard of the Memphis Belle?' Well yes ! " That was Capt. Robert Morgan pilot of the Memphis Belle, would you like to meet him?" Well yes!. The Dr. took me into the room with Capt. Morgan where we talked for about 45 minutes. Capt. Morgan asked if I flew and I told him no that the birds I worked with were in a hole in the ground. Also I told him I was in the 8th. Air Force, he was in the 8th Army Air Corp. I was a kid again talking to a true American Hero. Capt. Morgan pasted away several years ago but the memory of that meeting is permanently imprinted in this brain.

Capt. Robert Morgan was promoted to Col. and latter ( I think) retired Brig. General. The Memphis Belle was the tough B-17 bomber

Jim Morgan USAF 1964-1968

Airplanes

Tom D,
Thanks for the picture of the F4U Corsair. I think that would have to be one of my favorites out of many. I have have been to to the "Cradle of Avaition" museum on Long Island and the Boeing Museum in Seattle, I guess I have to add the Navel Air Museum to my list. I think the next one will be the one in Arizona. Dyess Air Force Base in Abilene, Tx. has quite a few on static display on the base if you can get on.

Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Tom D, I had the pleasure of seeing the museum ,but Must have missed the ships,is the battle wagon located around the museum somewhere.

My father rode the rear seat as a tailgunner in a Navy SBD, stationed in the Marianna's during WWII.

His gunnery training was in Florida. Because of the priority need for ammo at the front, they practiced shooting shotguns on the skeet fields. Shotguns were also mounted on swivel pedestals in the back of trucks. They would drive down a long road lined with trap houses firing the shotguns at clay targets thrown from the houses. This was to simulate aerial combat before being sent into action.

Here's a picture of his uniform....note the machine gun with wings, denotes aerial gunner. He also doubled as an aircraft mechanic when not flying.

sbd-06.jpg

Navy3.jpg

Last edited:
Back