Failures of the M4

I guess old prejudices die hard

As we age - - - -. I know well enough that AR rifles are accurate. I have seen it in the past. After all, I did earn my marksmanship badge with one! I don't know why I won't allow myself to like them but I can't seem to. :(

When my brother went to...........

Iraq, I got him nine 30 rndrs from Brownell's, 3-4 gold extractor springs(the Colt gold standard)couple extractors, ejectors & their springs a recoil, extractor, & trigger return spring for the Beretta, and the necessary tools & showed him how to install them if he had to. I told & showed him how to check the M4 for the proper extractor spring after he got his issue, & gave him all the receipts, & a copy of the comic book page from the DOD comic book w/the description of the spring & NSN. Before he left, we took the mags & a borrowed AR to the range & tested them all, one didn't cut it, & was returned. When he got there and got his issue, he went over everything, changed the extractor spring in the M4, & headed to the range. The rifle & mags ran great, the Beretta was another story. He got an armorer to change the trigger return spring & extractor & spring & he replaced the recoil spring, then the pistol sang. He also took a mag bag I gave him(Chicom)that took six, & kept it w/the rifle all the time. He was the envy of ALL his peers, and left it all w/them when he left a year later. He said he really felt well-prepared.:):)

As for the lube, LSA is no longer issued, I was told a few years back, & is /was only used for the Browning .50. The vehicle for it was Methylene Chloride I was told, which causes liver cancer. One 'Nam Vet told me after 10-12 mags, just put a squirt in the chamber & fire it wet, that's what he did, & never had a prob. He also said whenever he got back to base, he'd take his mags apart(if they'd been in water) clean them, and dry-wipe the rounds & reload. Then, after the third cleaning, he'd dump it overboard, & get new ammo. He said the guys who'd dive in the rack when back first, were the ones w/stoppages.:mad:

Back