Factory Class Caliber Choice?

K

kdvarmint

Tossing the idea around for a new rifle to shoot in factory class 200, 300, and 500yd matches. Must be original factory, N0 BR CALIBERS. I'm thinking 223, 22-250, or 243. Favoring the 243 as 22cal holes are too darn hard to see at 500. Thoughts, experiences, opinions welcome.

.308,30 cal is way easier to see on the farther targets & i've seen a lot of factory guns in this cal that really shoot

I've actually had great success with a 308. Won several matches. Time marches on and looking for "less" recoil in the next one.

alot of people have been going with the ruger or sako in 6ppc or a savage in 6br,depends on where you shoot if they'll let it in as a factory gun,some places have restrictions,if you don't want to go that route i'd look for a good shooting .223 & have fun with it

My first choice would be a Savage 6br, but not allowed. Maybe I should ask overall, which of the 3 would be the better choice, 223, 22-250, or 243. So far, my strong point has been at 500yds. In the matches that I've won, I made the most ground there. Hopefully more folks will weigh in over this weekend. Thanks!

I would think that of the 3 caliburs mentioned the .223 would be a better choice. The 22-250 and the .243 have greater potenial, but the .223 is diffentily the most accuate of the 3. Even though you would lose a bit at that range.

factory class

KDV- i prefer a sako or a remington/krieger. that said, the savage lrpv 9 twist 22-250 has won a bunch of matches even against customs .

I had read good success with a Savage in 22-250 a number of years back but couldn't keep it in barrels. I hear .243 is just as bad.

I don't think 500 yards is pushing it at all for .223.

What about the 6.5mm/.264 rounds? Lots of excellent choices there, like the 6.5 Swede or 260 Rem.

KDV- i prefer a sako or a remington/krieger. that said, the savage lrpv 9 twist 22-250 has won a bunch of matches even against customs .

If I go 22-250 it will definitely have a fast twist.

Good Morning,

I've had a lot of success shooting a Savage FTR 223 7 twist with 80 gr Berger Vld's in front of a stout load of Varget. Last year I won a 600 yard BR Factory shoot with it. My best 5 shot group was 2.5". I also shoot it in F/TR at 600 yards against the 308's. On a calm day that little 223 will hang right with them, and even win a relay or two if the operator does his job.

Ken

I would think that of the 3 caliburs mentioned the .223 would be a better choice. The 22-250 and the .243 have greater potenial, but the .223 is diffentily the most accuate of the 3. Even though you would lose a bit at that range.

Explain a little what you mean by "better potential" verses "most accurate". Are your thoughts based on personal experience with each caliber?

As I research, I'm sure finding it hard to get info on the 243 as far as competition. Is there anyone here shooting one? The silence is getting louder.

Must be "Original Factory Rifle" no flat bottom forearm. Basically looking for a varmint model. 6.5 Creedmoor not available in the model I would most likely buy.

My Choice

Would be the .308. There are still plenty of Hunter Class benchrest competitors on the West Coast using straight 308's with the 168gr Sierra bullet. A great caliber with superb natural accuracy. But...if you don't want the recoil, then I'd suggest the .243. Plenty of world championships in Hi Power rifle have been won with the 243 as per Tubbs. There are great and plentiful bullet choices in both calibers as well.

Good luck with what ever you choose,

Virg

Savage...

For out of the box accuracy, hard to beat those Savages. I have two MOdel 12's, a left port LRPV in .204 Ruger, and an F Class in 6BRNorma, can't say enough good things about both.
On lack of info on .243, I think it is not used all that much in competition, and my understanding is that with competition loads, it is a barrel burner, as is the 6.5-284. I like the mild recoil and modest powder requirements of the 6BR, as well as the accuracy of the round. In .223, stick with faster twists, so that you can use heavier bullets, for longer ranges; the new Berger manual has good info .

Ed, well said. I too love the 6br. I currently am shooting one in the Limited class. I also just got a new Berger manual. I will look into it, thanks.

Back