F-Class ???

B

B SLAGLE

I have never shoot F-Class before but it looks like a lot of fun more so than short range Brenchrest. I have been think about trying it out this coming year at ORSA. I have two 1000 yard brenchrest rifles one in 6mm Dasher and the other in 6XC both are 7 twist for the 115 D-tac in a Tracker ST-1000 stock. Could I make one of these rifles work for F-Class ? I have also been thinking about maybe puting a 284 Win barrel on one of my actions to use in F-Class next year. Which would be better a 284 IMP OR just a stright 284 Win how long would the barrel need to be what tapper on the barrel what reamer ( Lapua brass) would be best fitted for the 180 VLD Bergers. Help please

Start with reading the NRA High Power Complete Rule Book here before you go and build something that doen't pass tech.

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

I think that either of the Rifles you have been using would do fine in F-Class, as for tellng you what taper the barrel needs to be I'll refer back to reading the Rules, F-Class Open Rifle is limited to 22 lbs max, that's is as shot, scope, levels, stock, action, barrel, anything that's on the rifle while it's in the front rest and on the rear bag....which can't be conected nor can the rear be adjustable by mechanical means......and it has to be able to be lifted up from the firing point without either rest coming with it or the weight of that will be counted as rifle weight.

There's more to F-Class than just 1,000 yard shooting, it's done on reduced NRA Approved Targets from 300 yds. to 600 yds. as Mid Range and shot regularly at 800, 900 and 1,000 yds. alongside High Powr Prone and PALMA shooters.

Enjoy your new found sport!

The two rifles you first mention would be fine for F-Class, and when I was in Houston, I know shooters that used both out to 1,000 yards with good sucess. If you are talking anything other that .223 REm. or .308 Winchester (shot from a front bipod), then the weight maximum (not including front rest or rear bag) is just a touch above 22 lbs. The .284 is a quickly growing caliber of choice, as are all of the 7mm magnums (SAUM, 7/300, 7WSM, 280, 280 Improved) and the 300 WSM. They give a significant benefit in the wind, but extract a price when it comes to recoil. My brother shoots the .284 Winchester and loves it. I have and shoot a true 7WSM (for 3 barrels and roughly 5 years now), but may switch over to a 7/300 WSM or down to a 7 SAUM when this next barrel is consumed.

Barrel length and contour are more tied to target velocity and weight. If you build a standard rifle, you'll have something on the order of 30-32" long barrel, in a tree trunk looking contour. Mine is 30 inches, 1.250" for 5 inches then tapers to 1.00 at muzle." Nota lot of taper on that beast. BUt when you have 22 lbd to play with you can make the barrel big and heavy. If you go straight .284, get a 30-32" barrel, you'll want to be in teh 2,800+ fps node. and its easier to hit year round with a long tube.

The NRA rules are a decent starting point, but so it going to a local match ans simply seeing what people are using on the line and how they are doing it. IN some cases, you'll not see much in the form of advertising about F-Class, since its a subset of High Power.

In my local Area, Las Vegas, we are combined for nearly all matches (except we run a separate 600 - mid range match) monthly at my club.

good luck

JeffVN

Back