F-class scope choice?

Mr_Logic

Scopes generally I know have been done to death, but...

For 1000 yard f/tr - I am considering a Leupold 8.5-25x50 with fine duplex, or a Nightforce 8-32 with NP2-DD. not sure if NF or NXS as yet.

In UK NIghtforce is £600+ more than Leupold if comparing NXS with the VX-3. Currently have 6.5-20 Leupold which is a little light for mag and has varmint hunter ret, which is too thick. Other half shoots f/tr also and has NXS 5.5-22 which I gave her. I do miss that scope, but is it worth the price difference?

Many thanks for your opinions!

If you go with a NF the BR 12-42X56 would save you some money over the NXS. I've had the Leupold's and the NF BR models are the one's I currently use and I'm very pleased. My 8-32x56 BR is a NPR1 and the 12-42x56 BR is a NPR2. I like these , others like the NP2-DD, which I've never shot.

Mr_Logic,

This is what the members of Team Berger use.
Larry Bartholome - NPR-2
Jim Murphy - NPR-2
Bob Bock - NP-1 reticle.
John Brewer - NP-2DD
Dan Biggs – NP-2DD

Most of our scopes are NF BR 12-42's and they are worth the cost.

Larry,

I know from your previous posts that you hold off. Do you use the reticle for that, or do you tend to just see what is at the intersection of the crosshairs?

Thanks,
Keith

I have a 20 moa base on my Rifle, am I likely to have enough elevation adjustment with the 12-42? Always something which has concerned me.

Also what is the BR NF like next to the NXS? Odd though it is, not come across the BR model to look through!

Keith,
Funny you should ask that. Just the other day Jim Murphy and I were discussing reticles since we both have a scope with other than NPR-2 reticles we would like to change. Jim feels the same as I...we do not use the hash marks to hold off, in fact neither of us even know the hash marks are there when shooting. We are concentrating on the intersection of crosshairs and where we want to break the shot.

Mr Logic,

Yes, with the advertised 40 MOA of internal adjustemnt, you should be able to reach 1000 yards with all but the heaviest projectiles. My 308 runs 155.5's at 300 yards about 5 MOA above the bottom of the adjustment and 210 grainers at 2480fps make it to 1000 yards 35 MOA up from that. If you go much more than 20 MOA on the base, you might find it impossible to zero at closer ranges.

Larry,

Thanks. I'm running a Leupold right now (not enough scope at 20x) with a TMR reticle. I don't hold off with it either. Even when I'm uncertain about the adjustment required to center up, I forget to use the hash marks to help me get it right. I just don't know they are there when I shoot.

Keith

Sightron SIII 8-32x56

I'm building an F/TR gun (normally shoot F Open), and it will have the Sightron SIII 8-32x56 scope. There is a variant available with 1/8moa clicks, Sightron model no. SIIISS832X56LRTD/TDT. In addition to being significantly less expensive than a Nightforce, it is also about 12oz lighter, which is important for F/TR. Only downside is the limited reticle choice (I have 2 Nightforce 12-42 BRs with the NP-2DD reticle and love it).

All the scopes mentioned are good..

I have about 20 target scopes of varried manufactures.

Due to ecconomics several years ago I switched to Leupold.

Then I switched to Nightforce, then to Sightron.

None of the scopes are inexpensive.

No puns intended I beleive you get more bang for your buck with the Sightrons.

I have a boosted 24X to 32 X, two 8 X 32 X 50 and two 10 X 50 X 60s.

I own two 12 x 42 Nightforces and two 5.5 X 22 X 56 NightForces.

Optics no question the Sightron, Durability Nightforce, tracking is equally good.

Waranty equal, maybe easier with Sightron.

Recently I changed out my 308 hunting rifle from a VXIII 2.5 X 8 to a Sightron SIII Illuminated 3.5 X 10 with Mil Rads. best thisng I have done this year gun wise. I plan to switch out seeral more of my rifles. I have used their 6 X 24 on several customer guns and been very pleased.
Nat Lambeth

i agree with Nat. the sightron sIII is VERY hard to beat for any amount of money. the guys i shoot with use nightforce, s&b, premier, and uso. i do take a lot of crap for my "cheap" sightrons but i think the glass is just as good as theirs and the tracking is very repeatable which is my most important criteria. i prefer capped turrets so i am limited to MOA turrets and a MILDOT reticle but its really not a problem. we shoot tactical/practical matches but i think you would be equally pleased using a sightron in f-class.

chuck

To close this out, I sold a bunch of stuff and got the Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 with NP2-DD. very good, though I find 65 MOA adjustment a bit small even with a 20 MOA base - I can put another 20 in before coming near bottoming out on 100 yard zero.

It has 1/8 MOA clicks, time will tell on their use. i suspect I'll be glad of it for elevation, windage less so.

Consdiering F class

I have been considering F class for a while. No one has mentioned the march 10 x - 60x - 52 scope as an option. Is there any reason I shouldn't consider it. I have one attached to a 25/06 I don't use a lot.
Andy.

I've seen just about every March scope available here in the US used for F-Class and Any/Any. From the EP35-55, straight 40, 50 and the mentioned variable plus the even bigger ones, I know that F-Open Team Co-Capt. Brain O. had an 80x on during one Match when I was squaded with him.

I have been considering F class for a while. No one has mentioned the march 10 x - 60x - 52 scope as an option. Is there any reason I shouldn't consider it. I have one attached to a 25/06 I don't use a lot.
Andy.

No reason at all, I love the ones I have .

If you are on a budget, I can highly recommend the Signtron SIII 10-50X 60mm with your choice of reticle (just under $1,000). I chose the Fine Cross Hair (FCH) and I use the F-Class target rings/numbers for my hold-off. Others like the MOA reticle. It wasn't available when I got mine and I don't think I would have opted for it anyway.

When shooting at MCB, Quantico, VA, if the target itself doesn't have any distinguishing characteristics (notches, tears, distinctive tie-ties, etc.), I dial it back to 40x or so just so I can see the number board. Can't be shooting the wrong target.

Tracking on mine was great. On MCB, Quantico, VA, Range 1 at 175yds, I fired, went up 2 MOA, fired, right 2 MOA, fired, down 2MOA, fired, left 4 MOA, fired and back 2 MOA, fired. The original round and the final round formed a figure 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leupold Competition 35X......COST ME POINTS at the FCNats last week. Shooting F/TR 308 with 175g BTLR's. On the 12th shot of first match (calm) I was clean with 5X's. 13th shot was 8 at 12:00. 14th shot was 7 at 11:00. I held bottom of black and got a 9 for last shot. No clicking involved but zero was lost big time. Not sure if there is a permanent fix for this sorry behavior. After I get it back from Leupold I will check with Tucker to see if his mods will help. I chose this scope for its fine optics and light weight.
good luck,
-lige

I know I'm resurrecting my very old thread...

But!

I read it back with interest, specifically the last two posts about scope issues...

That 8-32 Nightforce looks distinctly suspicious at the moment. Was shooting for GB in the recent Europeans Team Champs, cost us a medal I think. All good up to shot 10 of the string, one high right shot at 900 and another at 1000, but basically holding the middle. Then shot 11 - boom! 2-ring (remember UK scoring) at 6 o'clock. Next shot same place, so we came up 1 MOA, hedging our bets, just in case. 3 at 6 o'clock. So we gave it the rest of the elevation and 3 at 12 o'clock. Took out that elevation and finished with a very low 4, also 6 o'clock. All the shots would have been V-bulls, except one which might have snuck into the 5-ring.

Have had the rifle and scope checked and it shot the box test OK apparently, but I can't think of anything except the scope which would cause it. NXS back off to Nightforce, and I'm in teh market for a scope again, probably two, as it's time for a spare rifle. Probably NF benchrest this time (cost) as I need two - want the same on both guns.

scope checked and it shot the box test OK apparently

I find people saying the box test is good interesting. The Box test tells you a lot about basic tracking ability, however I do not find it really proves much about holding POI unless you shoot at least 10 or 15 shots at each corner. Just my 2 cents worth.
BTW I have purchased a new NF 15-55 since my earlier post in this thread, it is a very nice scope. I used it for a couple of months before I succumbed to the desire to return to my March.
Dick

Interesting you should say that. I am inclined to agree; checking the rifle found no fault and same with the ammo.

I just came off a fourth-placed score in the individual and a good 900-yards with a solid first 10 shots at 1000 yards, so I really don't think that 4 MOA elevation spread was me. Which, despite the box test, leaves the scope.

Back