F class question on rest

82boy

Patrick Kennedy
I am going to try my hand at f class shooting, one of the local clubs is having a match later this year. I am going to shoot in the open class, and was wondering what is the best way to support my front rest. I read the rules, and see that you can use a board under the rest. I have also see company's that sell feet that attach to the legs of a rest. (And they are expensive.) I thought about making a set of feet out of fender washers, and nuts, but I am concerned that this may not work the best.
My question is what is the best way to support the rest, and is there any thing I am overlooking? Are there cheaper alternatives to the Sinclair feet? in the search there was a reply to a thread about some super feet in the classified section, but I did not find what I thought would work.

Also what about mats? I thought about just using cardboard. Is there a better option to this?

A simple approach that some of us use is to reverse the adjustable feet in the rest legs so the points are up and the knobs become the feet. Cheap and always with the rest.

Greg

Or

My first set of feet were 3'' dia plywood discs with a hole slightly smaller than the leg screw, then just srewed the leg into the hole sorta like a tap. A jam nut allowed the disc to turn if I needed adjustment. Then I found a piece of 2-1/2'' round and turned some from that. ( I have a lathe )
Aloha, Les

The BIG thing in front rests for F-Class is to get the rest to sit firmly on the ground with ZERO movement. The flat board is a terrible idea when shooting off grass as there is no way it will ever not wobble with grass under it. Off gravel it is probably the best method. I have seen a number of ways to "set" the front rest and the best seems to be circular feet with a point on the bottom that allows them to be stuck into the ground under the grass. Then using a level, level the front rest. Never, EVER put the front rest on your shooting mat as it will never settle down and always wobble.

The rear rest is another issue all together. I use a mini-gator bag filled with heavy sand as it's weight and large foot print seems to stabilize the rear bag. the smaller Protektor bags, even with heavy sand, seem to wobble a bit as the mat is on grass and squirms a bit. Another method is to cut a hole in your shooting matt to allow your rear bag to sit directly on the ground. Good idea, but I just cannot get comfortable cutting my matt and then finding a way to sew the edges of the cut.

I guess the short answer is whatever works for you with the rest absolutely and firmly paced with no wobble or movement.

George

George

Where and when will the match be held? I am close to Dayton and would be interested in shooting in a match.

Where and when will the match be held? I am close to Dayton and would be interested in shooting in a match.

I dont know when, (I have a couple of friends that will tell me.) but it is going to be a Saberes shooting range. There should be a few matchs.

Back