eye glasses

I had to get prescription glasses . Am I seeing what I really think I'm seeing through my scope? Or should I do what I think is the obvious and readjust the back eyepiece focus ? The Doc said there would be some adjustment time. And that's about all the advice I could get from him. This is probably a big nothing , but as always there is plenty of good advice here.

Kurtis

What I can say about eyeglasses is simple. First you need shooting glasses at any Range I have ever shot. The prescription eyeglasses take care of that problem if used in shooting frames which generally have large lenses. Adjust your scope focus for your prescription glasses and if your eyes adjust later to your prescription adjust your scope again. The big wake up call is when you look through your prescription focused scope without your glasses. Then you see how badly your eyes needed glasses. Sometimes I can't even see fine crosshairs without my glasses.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
Stephen , Thanks for the advice ,I will give the focus a new adjustment and check it periodically. I really like shooting without glasses but I think its a good idea to protect them .
This could be the best new thing I will ever try.

Not to put a damper on anything (because IMO shooting without glasses ANY TIME is criminally stupid!) but you'll have to pony up some money to ensure you get ANSI rated SAFETY LENSES in your glasses. Here's the problem, in the event of "an event", you need your eyes PROTECTED, not filled with shards of glass or plastic.

You need safety glasses.

Some stores like America's Optical can provide you with safety lenses that are NOT safety rated but the same stuff, only thinner than spec....and less expensive...... but if you have an accident you'll be in a real fight with insurance.

It is my sincere opinion, backed by personal experience, that you can take this as a positive development and just get the safety glasses. Once you've worn them and especially once you've USED them, you'll feel naked without them.

I/we have two pairs of "used safety glasses" hung up, one from work and one from play, in both cases we feel that a person would be BLIND without the protection.

I'm with Steve, adjust the scope to the glasses.

As an aside, I had my shooting safety glasses tinted light amber and polarized and I'm convinced I can see BETTER through the scope with them on. (I know this is slightly illogical beings as I've added a lens and two surfaces, but the amber so intensifies contrast that for me it's "better")

anyways...... get 'er done

al

Safety Glasses are a must.
A Famous shooter in the East is now blind in 1 eye. His gun blew up. :eek:

I use a spare pair from work. And I do feel naked without them. Yea. They are big and ugly. And guess what. I still get junk in my eyes. Mostly from the guy next to me.

Al. Thanks for the info on shooting glasses. I was wondering what some guys are wearing. Only see them out when they sit at a bench.

dis'd member

In this case everyone really needs to pay attention to alinwa. Just because you have glasses on doesn't mean you are protected. Also, get you prescription in a pair of shooting glasses not these little skimpy things people wear these days.

Not to put a damper on anything (because IMO shooting without glasses ANY TIME is criminally stupid!) but you'll have to pony up some money to ensure you get ANSI rated SAFETY LENSES in your glasses. Here's the problem, in the event of "an event", you need your eyes PROTECTED, not filled with shards of glass or plastic.

You need safety glasses.

Some stores like America's Optical can provide you with safety lenses that are NOT safety rated but the same stuff, only thinner than spec....and less expensive...... but if you have an accident you'll be in a real fight with insurance.

It is my sincere opinion, backed by personal experience, that you can take this as a positive development and just get the safety glasses. Once you've worn them and especially once you've USED them, you'll feel naked without them.

I/we have two pairs of "used safety glasses" hung up, one from work and one from play, in both cases we feel that a person would be BLIND without the protection.

I'm with Steve, adjust the scope to the glasses.

As an aside, I had my shooting safety glasses tinted light amber and polarized and I'm convinced I can see BETTER through the scope with them on. (I know this is slightly illogical beings as I've added a lens and two surfaces, but the amber so intensifies contrast that for me it's "better")

anyways...... get 'er done

al

The only two lens materials I am familiar with which meet ANSI standards as "safety glasses" are polycarbonate and Trivex. Depending upon the particular prescription, Trivex may offer superior optical qualities. I have used both types of lenses and in my experience (I am near sighted) the Trivex is preferable, but this should be discussed with the optometrist and the vendor who will be making shooting glasses. Safety glasses may cost extra, but what is you vision worth?

The only other issue is side protection which remains a bit of a problem unless you use some of the wrap around style of glasses. There are some wrap arounds which use a prescription insert which is an interesting solution.

Rick

Thanks for the info. I have had poly-carbonate lenses before. Ready for some new shooting glasses will ask about the trivex lenses.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

I had a friend get me a pair of the SawFly Military Eyewear System glasses at the Ft. Dix clothing store.
I was quite impressed with the shotgun demonstration shown on their site:

http://www.revisioneyewear.com/sawfly.html

You don’t have to be in the military to buy them.
They can be ordered right from their site.
paul

Last edited:
Thanks for the website Mike. That was good reading. The real reason I need glasses is becauses Rex let me be a ref for the first time!!! and after I heard someone down the firing line say something about pulling my head out ref, . you need glasses,
well I figured I had better get a pair.

Kurtis,

Sam Cherry at DeCot has been very helpful to me. I like the Hi-Lo, Hy-Wyd frames (isn't that a mouthful?). You can adjust the height on your face in a few seconds and they offer a lot of coverage for your face/eyes.

Rick Briscoe

There was a well detailed article on 6mmBR.com entitled "Eye Protection For Shooters" ....although dated , it details what lens material offers the best protection and also what lens tint is optimal for the various types of conditions one encounters.

Back