Evaluationg the New Turbo Actions

Bill B

Evaluating the New Turbo Actions

Gordon Eck invited me to his shop this morning to evaluate the new Turbo Sporter Action. I had previously shot the new Turbo single shot action. Gordon just got this action in and he put a MullerWorks Inc 4 groove sporter barrel on it, and bedded in into a used Peightal sporter stock that was built for a Hall action that he re-inletted. These new Turbos are an improvement over the previous ones. Flash was a great guy and did great work but the new Turbos are just better built and easier to load. The loading port has been opened up and it was easy for me to use this RB/RP action (Gordon's a lefty). I'm told that most of the parts on the old Turbo that used to wear out too quickly (bolt stop, firing pin spring, ejector) have been heat treated to last longer on the newer version. While I'm not convinced that a 6 o'clock pin is necessary, it sure doesn't hurt and this action has a 6 o'clock pin. It's smooth working and great looking. I was impressed with Dan Muller's barrel too. Gordon had a target hung and after a couple fouling shots, I shot a 248 (didn't bother to count the Xs) using two lots of ammo that Gordon had lying around. The wind was very switchy and variable (as it often can be on Gordon's hill). After getting acquainted with this rifle and determining the amount of hold-off it would need, I shot a 250-15X on the next target. Even getting caught in a switch resulted in a 10 as my hold-off was just at the edge of the 10 ring and that's where the shot went. When a rifle will give you a ten even after the shooter makes such an error - well that's the definition of a great rifle in my opinion.

Great job Bill and Anthony on the Turbo and Dan keep up the great barrel work. You're onto something. Gordon, you've built another winning sporter. But that ain't news.

Last edited:
Oh SURE and that's what what we'll have to shoot against this weekend when Mel shows up!!!
OR are there two one for Gordon and one for Mel!! ;-))
Pete

Note on my initial post that the name of the barrel company (MullerWorks Inc) and the spelling of Dan's last name (Muller) have been corrected. Sorry Dan. BTW, I shot over some Wicks-type double vane flags that Ray Hill in Massachusetts makes. Very nice. I like the built in up/down feature as well.

Last edited:
Back