Empty Smokeless Powder Bottles

C

Cherrywood

Thanks for all the advice on my previous "smokeless powder" thread to all that replied.
I am now in search of anyone that has One Lb. plastic empty smokeless powder bottles or jars.
Let me know how much $$$ you want for each plus shipping costs. I have several older powders in metal cans that are rusty and need replacing. I tried the powder companies first to see if they would sell empty jars......NO they don't. So if anyone has empties of recently used powder please reply. I prefer the black plastic Accurate or the round Hodgdon bottles.
No metal please.

Thanks
Cherrywood

Cherry if you can not get these jugs you can also use a nalgene (trademark) type of bottle since that is generally what is used on most of the custom powder measures and should safely hold the powder for long periods.

Also, Rubber Maid quart or pint bottles available at your local super market make great powder storage bottles at a very reasonable cost. The ones with a flip top make dispensing power into your measure a snap. You can also label them with an indelible ink marker with the powder type and your favorite load. Hoppe's No. 9 or Butches Boreshine remove these markings in an instant.

Virg: Thanks for the info. Are you sure that the plastic is compatible with smokeless powder? Have you used these yourself? You'll notice that the powder manufacturers use black plastic that will not let any light in. I do thank you for the suggestion and I will definitely look into it.

Cherry

The opaque nalgen (or others) is. That is what sinclair harells and others use on their throwers.

Make sure that the bottles you get are opaque. Although I don't know for sure the powder may be light sensitive and decompose if exposed to light. If you can see the powder through the bottle it may not protect the powder from direct light. Brown or black would be my preference.

I'd send you some bottles for the cost of mailing, but I chucked a bunch of them I had about a month ago. :(

any solid color...most powder is sold in black...tho i do buy bulk in solid white...like bleach bottles( 8/5 lb'ders)

i save the accurate one lb to use with my thrower...

mike in co

Cherrywood...go to your local pharmacy and ask for any empty large pill bottles..they are chemical resistant...we used to get them for our powder measures so we could change powders easily...and they are free...

Eddie in Texas

Free???
I have not seen a pharm willing to give anything free.
Heck I cant even get them to order things I know that they can with me willing to pay...

Virg: Thanks for the info. Are you sure that the plastic is compatible with smokeless powder? Have you used these yourself? You'll notice that the powder manufacturers use black plastic that will not let any light in. I do thank you for the suggestion and I will definitely look into it.

Cherry

I have been using these type of bottles since 1985 with V135, V133, V150, T322, Bullseye, 3031, Unique, and 4350 powders. I use the translucent bottles in both pint and quart size with a blue flip cap. I have experienced NO problems with light exposure or temp. Powder storage in some of my bottles have been for over ten years with no ill effect that I've been able to detect. Of course I don't expose the bottles to direct sunlight, so I can't answer to those effects. But stored in cold and summer temp garages have had no discernible effect. Vit powder does come in black containers, but when T322 was available it came in 8lb white bleach type bottles.

I really do not think your powder will have any problems with these bottles if you take reasonable storage precautions. Anything's better than rusting out metal containers.

virg

Bleach bottles work. The bottles that vitamins (larger ones) work well and will screw right on to your powder measure, they'll usually hold a pound. You can order the plugs like on the measure bottles, drill your own hole with a wood bit and bingo, you have a good, multi-use bottle.

Hovis

If your interested I have many Hodgdon, and IMR 1lbs empty bottles I would be willing to part with.

Bleach bottles work. The bottles that vitamins (larger ones) work well and will screw right on to your powder measure, they'll usually hold a pound. You can order the plugs like on the measure bottles, drill your own hole with a wood bit and bingo, you have a good, multi-use bottle.

Hovis

Could you tell me where you found the plugs? I frequently load from a one pound bottle that I fill from an eight pound jug when loading a few hundred 308 size cases and would love to modify them the way you mentioned. Do you recall what size drill bit you used?

Thanks!
Rick

82boy~
Yeah, I'd go for the Hodgdon and IMR bottles.........all plastic correct?
Thanks
Cherry

I know that Sinclairs carries the plugs. You can also google them. I use a 1" wood bit to drill the holes. Then use a knife to debur.

Hovis

Back