Ejector on BAT question.......

S

scott mims

don't want to bother my gunsmith with this so i was wondering if you could answer a question for me so i can do it myself. my ejector throws my brass more than i would like for it to. whats the fix for this........ would i just take the spring out and shorten it a little at a time? if this is the case what is the best way to "cut" the spring without messing anything up. BAT has a video of showing how to take the ejector out so maybe i can do that without doing anything wrong ;)

thanks

Scott I have the opposite problem my brass spends around in the chamber.
I wish I had your problem. If any one can fix your problem maby they can help me with mine.

i would like for it to just fall out of the action, I'm just worried if i do it myself I'm going to make the spring to short and have your problem.

I think I need a new spring . I plan on ordering one .
That one good thing you can get a new spring if you cut to much off.

I'm no "gunsmith" but if you haven't done something else to the action to cause this, Scott has to cut a little off and Ajshooter needs to get a new spring. When you do this, have a few extra springs on hand so if you goof you can fix it. Use such a device that will cut the spring cleanly...like a small spring cutter :))) and cut off a single ring at a time until it gets close to what you want...then cut off less.

Scott
I had a similar problem with my Hall throwing it to far trimmed the spring then it wouldn't eject at all. Not enough pressure the case would spin around in the action. Did a lot of reading on here and found this old post from Mike Bryant. I bought the .090" diameter spring it's 10" long for like $5. It isn't as stiff as the original so you cut it longer than the original spring. Anyhow after a little while you will get it the way you want

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?86062-BAT-ejector-tuning-tips-and-tricks

Last edited:
If the cases are going to far. The first part to look at is the plunger. Does it protrude past the cone? I set them up a little below the cone. Then test the ejector, most offen it will be enough to just spit them out. No need in cutting springs. Don't get it so soft that the case falls off. That just plain sucks!

Ajshooter I would bet you are shooting a PPC case in a BR bolt face or you have a sliding plate extractor. Let me know and we can work through all of the scenarios.

Dale

If the cases are going to far. The first part to look at is the plunger. Does it protrude past the cone? I set them up a little below the cone. Then test the ejector, most offen it will be enough to just spit them out. No need in cutting springs. Don't get it so soft that the case falls off. That just plain sucks!

Ajshooter I would bet you are shooting a PPC case in a BR bolt face or you have a sliding plate extractor. Let me know and we can work through all of the scenarios.

Dale
My action is a bat model DS with a PPC bolt face and a sako extractor.
I plan on shooting 6 br with rebated case head .
But as of now only PPC . Any advise .
Scott don't worry about the scratches we all have them if this helps.?

The Bat I had threw my brass farther than I liked also. I replaced the spring with one out of a Bic lighter. Worked perfect, the case just cleared the port.

Take the top of the lighter apart, it's under the little wheel that makes the spark. You'll have to play with the length, but there's plenty of spring left over to try again if you make it too short.

I'll credit Dave Coots with this tip. I'm pretty sure I heard it from him.

Jerry

I have the opposite problem my brass spends around in the chamber.

I had this problem on a Bat and thought I needed a spring. I spoke with Darryl at Bat and he told me more likely the extractor was bent. he was correct, it looked fine in bolt but was very obviously bent when I had extractor removed from bolt. Call Bat, they have somewhat limited phone hours but they can help you out.
Dick

Extractor

I had this problem on a Bat and thought I needed a spring. I spoke with Darryl at Bat and he told me more likely the extractor was bent. he was correct, it looked fine in bolt but was very obviously bent when I had extractor removed from bolt. Call Bat, they have somewhat limited phone hours but they can help you out.
Dick
Dick did you replace or straighten your extractor.

Dick did you replace or straighten your extractor.

i replaced it with the nice new extractor Darryl sent me. He sent me the spring I thought it was, and the extractor he said it was.
The spring is still in my toolbox next to the bent extractor.

extractor.jpg

This is it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info .
Sorry Scott didn't mean to hijack your thread.

thats ok more problems solved the better.... killing 2 birds with one stone......... maybe that saying works here :)

Last edited:
Back