ejector marks

paulie

I was testing some of the IMR 8208 this weekend in my Stolle Panda 6ppc, and noticed that at 30.5gr I was just starting to see some bright spots on the case head made by the ejector.
I can see no other signs of excess pressure on these cases.
The VV133 load that I’ve been using was / is 29.2gr, with no markings from the ejector.
Is anyone else seeing any of these signs at 30.5gr and above?.

sounds like excess pressure to me.
it's usually one of the first signs.
Just because someone else uses that load or even a higher
Load , it doesn't mean that it will work for your rifle.
30.0 is pretty hot in one of my rifles and i can go to 31.5 in another.
One chamber is smaller then the other.
Different chambers , Barrel bores etc effect the pressures.
Hope this helps I would back down a tad.

Last edited by a moderator:
paulie ...

I was testing some of the IMR 8208 this weekend in my Stolle Panda 6ppc, and noticed that at 30.5gr I was just starting to see some bright spots on the case head made by the ejector. I can see no other signs of excess pressure on these cases. The VV133 load that I’ve been using was / is 29.2gr, with no markings from the ejector. Is anyone else seeing any of these signs at 30.5gr and above?.

I had a Savage engineer tell me once that when you start to see ejector marks on your brass it's time to back off a grain. ;)

Thanks guys...
I kinda figgered it was time to back down a bit.
I was not aware that there could be that much of a pressure difference between similar guns with similar charges.
paul

I was testing some of the IMR 8208 this weekend in my Stolle Panda 6ppc, and noticed that at 30.5gr I was just starting to see some bright spots on the case head made by the ejector.
I can see no other signs of excess pressure on these cases.
The VV133 load that I’ve been using was / is 29.2gr, with no markings from the ejector.
Is anyone else seeing any of these signs at 30.5gr and above?.

I shot 30.5 grains at our Winter League yesterday and I had no pressure problems. Primers still had radius and bolt lift was normal. Bat 3 lug, 14t Bartlien, Fed 205m and Hillbilly 68 gr FB seated .005 from just touching. I came preloaded if that makes any different and they were loaded in late January for match in February that was cancelled "due to Global Warming". This brass has been loaded at least 20 times. I just got done sizing them and everything was fine. None were harder to size than any others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back