Dyna-Tech Bore Coat

Instructions, etc.

I bought some but haven't had a chance to try it yet. John Barsness did an article on it which siad good things about it but which I'm having trouble finding. Here is the company info:

http://store.dyna-tek.com/Bore-Coat-Article-s/1839.htm

There is a Youtube video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81tM5PIdOX8

I'm waiting for warm weather to try it as I want to apply it in the garage. I have three rifles with rough bores that clean up hard and apparently it makes cleaning much easier. Barsness said it didn't do much for accuracy.

I found out that it is a ceramic coating. I'm going to take a wild guess that it wouldn't be good for your reamer to try to set a barrel back after it has been applied.

I found out that it is a ceramic coating. I'm going to take a wild guess that it wouldn't be good for your reamer to try to set a barrel back after it has been applied.

Anybody that would use something like this is not even familiar with the term setting a barrel back.

Actually, it's Dyna-Tek

If you are doing a web search, the correct spelling may help a bit.

I plan to use my bottle on a .303 Enfield, a 1917 Enfield '06 and a Smith & Wesson 1500 7mm Magnum. All have rough bores and clean up hard due to pitting and fire cracking. Dyna-Tek says to apply with a bore mop and wipe the excess from the muzzle and chamber. I have made custom bore guides for these rifles using a fired case which I have drilled out at the base and then epoxied in a brass tube. This will keep most of the excess out of the chamber.

They say to do three applications 10 minutes apart and then let it sit for 8 hours before shooting. I believe Barsness said he waited 8 hours between coatings. I plan to do that, plus rotate the rifle 60 degrees for each period of "sitting". Supposedly, firing 8 to 10 shots will iron the ceramic coating into the imperfections in the bore. I'm going to use mild loads for this and avoid bullets with long bearing surfaces.

From what I've read, this works better on pits than heavy machine marks. For those, hand lapping or fire lapping is probably a better choice. I've had good luck with hand lapping.

As I said earlier, I'm waiting for warmer weather so I can do the application in the garage and keep the fumes out of the house.

I bought some but haven't had a chance to try it yet. John Barsness did an article on it which siad good things about it but which I'm having trouble finding. Here is the company info:

http://store.dyna-tek.com/Bore-Coat-Article-s/1839.htm

There is a Youtube video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81tM5PIdOX8

I'm waiting for warm weather to try it as I want to apply it in the garage. I have three rifles with rough bores that clean up hard and apparently it makes cleaning much easier. Barsness said it didn't do much for accuracy.

Right now I can shoot a complete aggregate with my 30BR without cleaning, and the last target will be just as good as the first.

A few years ago I read the article by Mr barsness about dynatek bore coating and it's ability to reduce cleaning time, so I tried it in my guns as well as a few of my shooting buddies. We were very pleased...cleaning was easy and quick. I noted the patch used to coat the bore would become stiff after drying. My third purchase, however, did not reduce cleaning time and the patch did not stiffen, so I called a Mr Burch at their home office and reported my concern that the product was changed. He admitted there was a change and reports were all negative. He said the original formula was to be revived and some time later I received a new bottle. I tried it and the patch stiffen and cleaning time was reduced as before. I can only hope the older product was recalled from Brownells. If your patch used to coat the bore remains soft you have the altered formula that doesn' t work. One gun was shot 600+ after coating then started taking longer to clean, so I recoated and cleaning time reduced. The product will not "fill" pits or rough bores but does seem to apply a very thin glass like surface(it is .25 micron ceramic particles) , so abrasive cleaners or bronze brushes are discouraged.

There seems to be some confusion as to why to use this product.

I finally have some time and some good weather and am about to apply Dyna-tek to three rifles. All these rifles have bores that look like the back of a mature alligator.

I too have benchrest rifles that clean up with almost no effort, using Wipeout Accelerator and Wipeout Foam. They need no help. Like a lot of benchrest guys, I also have old military rifles and such with rough bores that I like to shoot from time to time. I'd rather not spend a lot of time cleaning them after these sessions and they are not worth rebarreling.

Anyway, I'll give a report on how this works out when I've had a chance to shoot them.

Must have a bad batch!

What I have looks, smells and acts like grain alcohol.

I ordered it two years ago from Midway and it has sat unopened ever since. I opened the container for the first time today just before I applied it. Here is what I got:

Midway product number 596560 - DynaTek Gun Care Kit Bore Coat 1/2 oz 3 Tubes Gun Shield 1/3 oz and 2 Alcohol Wipes

FYI, there were only two tubes of the gun shield and no alcohol wipes.

I applied the product to three rifles as instructed. I did three coats, waiting two hours between each coat. I shook the stuff vigorously before each application. I used a fresh bore more for each coat. The bore mops sat in the sun after each coat. They did not become stiff. The stuff completely evaporated and the mops are just like new.

Lastly, I soaked a patch in it and left it to dry in the sun. The patch is totally like new. It does smell a bit like pine-sol, but that's about it.

I am going to contact the company and try to get some product that works. I will not shoot the guns until I recoat them with good product because I know I'm wasting my time otherwise. I am quite disappointed.

Great customer service

Emailed the company last night. Had a reply from Doug Burche by 7 AM today asking for my shipping address to ship good product. He said at one point they had some bottles got out that were denatured alcohol and not the bore coat. He said they would ship the good stuff right away.

This Mr Burch seems to be a straight shooter. The product is advertised to reduce cleaning time, not to improve accuracy. Interestingly though, the first bullet out a treated bore often goes somewhere on the target, while the rest go where your scope is aimed. I'll usu shoot first at center paper or just shoot into whatever catches the bullets. Don't adjust scope after first one as nos 2-? go to same area. I recently cleaned my latest after a total of 400 rounds and it was clean in minutes.. Not supposed to, but I ran a bronze brush down and patch was white. Around 600+ firings I'll bronze brush and some barrels will show powder residue and if a lot, I'll jb and bronze brush her clean and recoat. Reduced cleaning time returns. Did not know about some product going out with grain alcohol only. That would explain why my bottle did nothing and the patch was unchanged! The solvent for the good stuff is grain alcohol as is the bottle for drying the bore before coating and I assumed it real. I did report this to mr Burch. Some call this product "snake oil". Don't care as cleaning time is quick.

Got My Replacement Product Today

They sent me a kit with one bottle each of bore coat and alcohol cleaner. They arrived today barely a week after I emailed them. These bottles are twice as large as what I had before. I have a match Saturday but should be able to coat my guns Sunday and test the following weekend.

Reporting on my results

Well, last weekend I applied the product as directed to three rifles that had been cleaned down to bare steel and thoroughly degreased and dried. I did three applications to each rifle using a fresh bore mop for each application. The applications were two or more hours apart on a hot day. The rifles were left muzzle-down on folded flannel pads between applications. It dries quickly and the mops became stiff very soon.

The rifles sat in the safe for a week and yesterday I shot them. They were a 1917 Remington Enfield .30-06, a 1943 British Enfield .303 and a S&W 1500 7mm Magnum. All had a history of being hard to clean. I started cleaning them at the range with Wipeout Accelerator and Patch-Out which was left in for the trip home. I did two spplications of Wipeout Accelerator followed by foam at home last night and a third that sat overnight. I've done at least 4 applications today.

To spare you a long story, the .303 was shot 16 times with Prvi Partisan ammo. It was declared clean after 6 cleanings with foam. I consider this more cleaning than I wish to do. The 7mm Mag was shot 7 times and might be clean by the end of the day and the .30-06, shot 11 times, is a copper mine that may take another day or two.

I can't say whether this stuff works for better bores. I can say that if you have a real fouler, there are probably other routes to take first, from hand-lapping to fire-lapping to rebarrelling. I am now considering hand-lapping for all three, followed by fire-lapping for the .30-06.

There is no free lunch! This stuff apparently works for a lot of folks, but it won't make alligator skin as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Back