Don Nielson's Pumpkin Neck Turner

glp

I have two of his units and love them. But, who is selling parts like cutters, turning and expansion mandrels today. Has Don gone back to selling direct?

I did a search and came up with butches but they listed complete units only. Thanks --Greg

We have a few parts for Nielson turners, BUT we are not going to sell anyone's product once we are out of their supplies. Due to our backlog we are going to just build actions and rifles. We will no longer be selling action wrenches or barrel vises once we run out of these products as well. Cutting out all the little items that take machine time and workers time away from working on actions and rifles.

Jim

pumplin neck turner mandrel

Like to find a mandrel for 6PPC that is smaller ID. THe pumpkin mandrel that came with the turner will not allow the case mouth to fit over it. After it has been resized and or ran through my sizing die. Other brand trimmers fit case mouths fine.
Anyone know where to find one with a couple thou less diameter?
Thankjs, Richard

Like to find a mandrel for 6PPC that is smaller ID. THe pumpkin mandrel that came with the turner will not allow the case mouth to fit over it. After it has been resized and or ran through my sizing die. Other brand trimmers fit case mouths fine.
Anyone know where to find one with a couple thou less diameter?
Thankjs, Richard

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I have never owned a neck turning mandrel that would go in a case AFTER it has been sized. I have to run new cases over a matching expandiron, turn the necks and then size. I guess this will be a learning opportunity for me.

Rick

there is a reason companies sell BOTH an expander and a turning mandrel

AS A SET...TO WORK TOGETHER.

Even the sizing mandrels that are made in attempt to fit the case neck to the neck turner are often too tight. Loose and tight are different animals and I'd rather have one that's loose than too tight.

I don't think I've ever come across a neck turning mandrel that fit the neck of a sized case.

pumpkin

Just necking up the pumpkin mandrel is too tight to go into the case neck. Using standard .262 chamber.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I have never owned a neck turning mandrel that would go in a case AFTER it has been sized. I have to run new cases over a matching expandiron, turn the necks and then size. I guess this will be a learning opportunity for me.

Rick

Rick is right !!!!

My

Even the sizing mandrels that are made in attempt to fit the case neck to the neck turner are often too tight. Loose and tight are different animals and I'd rather have one that's loose than too tight.

I don't think I've ever come across a neck turning mandrel that fit the neck of a sized case.

pumpkin expander mandrel leaves a newly expanded 6mm BR to .30 cal just the right ID to form a snug but easy fit over my turning mandrel. Same with one I have setup for 6mm.

When I expand the 6BR case I do it in three steps...6mm to .270 to .290 and a final over the .30 expander mandrel. Works like a charm and I just finished 100 cases with no neck splits.

Just necking up the pumpkin mandrel is too tight to go into the case neck. Using standard .262 chamber.

I don't want to seem to be a smarta$$, but it seems to me you might be a little unclear on the concept. You should begin with the expander that goes with the Pumpkin turning mandrel. At this point the size of the chamber is irrelevant.
Expand the neck of a piece of 220 Russian brass, THEN turn the neck to the desired thickness. This will vary according to the chamber and to where you want to be. There are several good articles on the accurateshooter.com 6PPC page that will explain how to correctly make and form 6PPC brass. They all work, some better than others IME.

YMMV,
Rick

turner

I understand how to do this. Do it successfully for a while now. Right after I expand the neck to 6mm then I turn them down. I use other brand neck turners and have no trouble with the neck fitting over the mandrels.
Wanted to try the pumpkin, bought one from Brunos and the mandrel is too large to go in the expanded case mouth (BEFORE IT IS SIZED).
Nowhere have I been able to find an option for different size mandrel. I make brass for 4 different PPC's. I think the neck turner should fit the standard expander that is on hte market, not the other way around. But that is why I asked about a smaller mandrel for hte Pumpkin. So it is an expensive paperweight.
As I stated I have never see an option for different size expanded mandrel, nor for the neck turner.
If i could purchase a larger mandrel for a decent price I would still like to try the pumpkin.

I understand how to do this. Do it successfully for a while now. Right after I expand the neck to 6mm then I turn them down. I use other brand neck turners and have no trouble with the neck fitting over the mandrels.
Wanted to try the pumpkin, bought one from Brunos and the mandrel is too large to go in the expanded case mouth (BEFORE IT IS SIZED).
Nowhere have I been able to find an option for different size mandrel. I make brass for 4 different PPC's. I think the neck turner should fit the standard expander that is on hte market, not the other way around. But that is why I asked about a smaller mandrel for hte Pumpkin. So it is an expensive paperweight.
As I stated I have never see an option for different size expanded mandrel, nor for the neck turner.
If i could purchase a larger mandrel for a decent price I would still like to try the pumpkin.

OK,
sorry for my misunderstanding. You seem to know what you are looking for, hope you are able to locate it.

Rick

Call Me... I'll Walk You Through What You Need To Do Get Your Pumpkin Turner Set-up..

Singleshotfan...

Call me. I'll help explain what is needed to do get your Pumpkin turner set-up right!

Jack Neary 440-716-0600

He said what the problem is...
" I think the neck turner should fit the standard expander that is on hte market,"
He expected someone else's expander to work with the pumpkin and its turning mandrel.

Poor assumption.
Like i said, there is a reason turning and expanding mandrels are sold by a turning maker.

Back