Does anyone hate Remington riverted extractors as much as I do?

AMMASHOOTA

Gary Gruber
I purchased a used Rem 700 in 300 RUM as a donor to build a 404 Jeff. You may have seen the exploits I went through to get a LW barrel in another forum. Well, I managed to thread and chamber the barrel, get it assembled. Modify the stock for the thicker recoil lug. It's all nicely headspaced and I'm ready to check feeding on some dummy rounds.

Bolt will not close with dummy round in chamber. On closer examination I see that the extractor rivet is quite proud. It didn't have any issues going over my headspace gauge, but it is shaving quite a bit of brass trying to get a round in.

By the looks of the rifle, it was fired, and apparently more than once. bluing was worn on the barrel, bolt showed rub marks where it had been opened and closed a lot without grease. etc.

It only took 5 minutes to dress the rivet head and touch the extractor a bit to get it to feed into the bolt properly, but for the life of me I can't figure out how the previous owner ever shot the rifle.

The last two REM actions I bought from Brownell's both had riveted extractors and both looked like they had been put on by a gorilla. I had to replace both of them. I took free extractors from Brownells in lieu of the grief of shipping the actions back and getting new ones. Both actions turned out to be fine.

I have always felt that they were a piece of crap! The last one I owned had the m-16 style extractor done too it!

If you have a case head separation you might get a face full of M-16 extractor. This has always been a weakness of Sako style extractors in a M-700 bolt face.

AMMASHOOTA, your repair job will likely be good for many rounds. I do hate having to Dremel a new rivet without marring the surrounding area.
F1

Its not a matter of if you will have trouble with a Remington extractor its a matter of when. I install Sako extractors in most all of them I get in here. I want to get into the mini m16 but haven't taken the time to do it yet. I like the pinned mini m16 better not just because its pinned but also because it was invented in the USA.

secondary projectiles

those after market M16 and sako extractors become bullets when there is a case failure, I would not put one in unless it is the last resort.

I have seen two occasions in my life where the addition of a Sako or M16 type of extractor would have spelled certain injury to the shooter or by stander. One problem came from an elderly friend of mine that was on heavy medication and was trying to teach his grandson to reload, as he knew he was in his last few months of life. In this case, he read the setting on his RCBS 505 scale wrong, and put in a 10g over load of IMR 3031 with a 55g Bullet in a 22/250. Failure was massive, but the Remington's "three rings of steel" protected the shooters and the bystanders. The Bolt was ruined as the case head filled in the extractor recess, and the front edges of the bolt head were pulled off when the barrel was unscrewed. An upgraded extractor would have become a bullet in this case.

The other situation occurred from a case head separation, massive amount of gases from the case, after market extractor would have become a projectile.

People just make mistakes in their reloading of all kinds, whether it be from Age, health related issues, medications, ADD, etc.

If you have sako or M16 extractors installed in your Remingtons, and you shoot on a public rifle range, I hope you carry an umbrella Insurance policy.

So then why is an M16 type extractor OK on an M4/M16/AR15 but not on a bolt gun. I have investicated many malfunctions on military weapons and have not seen an extractor go flying.

Back