DIY Tracking Guides for non-Tracking Benchrest Stock Forearms?

R

RStout

Am interested in using tracking guides on benchrest stock similar to those on Shehane and McMillen stocks, but am planning to get the stock from a source that does not configure its stocks that way.

Question: anyone know of a DIY solution involving the bonding of suitable strips of metal or wood to the underside of a benchrest stock forearm to accomplish the same purpose?

Many thanks!

I've installed delrin with bolts, steel with bolts, wood and fiberglass with epoxy. Whatever you use you can always stick tape on it for slickness if you so desire.

al

Most guys make flat plate to simulate a benchrest forearm, then affix the guides to that. Simplist, removable, and fits a "benchrest" front bag. If you take the plate off, you now have mounting holes on the stock for both a sling swivel AND a bipod. As for the plate, just have two holes centerline on the stock & bolt the plate to that. If you need to add something to keep the plate from rockin' & rollin', Bondo, epoxy, whatever will work. Just wax the stock so it only sticks to the plate.

Back in the old days, the Hawks Ridge club used real wood for it's plaques. Joel Pendergraft won so much that he now just cuts one in two, and has two "benchrest plates" for customer guns. He must have had over 50 of them...

Am interested in using tracking guides on benchrest stock similar to those on Shehane and McMillen stocks, but am planning to get the stock from a source that does not configure its stocks that way.

Question: anyone know of a DIY solution involving the bonding of suitable strips of metal or wood to the underside of a benchrest stock forearm to accomplish the same purpose?

Many thanks!

Buy or make your own;

aasset.jpg

http://www.rwhart.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=RWH-N-AA

Thanks for the ideas!

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your replies. I'm just getting started in BR; there's so much to learn.

You have cited some really great options for me to evaluate.

Thanks again!

Richard Stout

Back