Different Farley Rests

Andy Cross

I am a little confused about something I read in Mike Ratigans book regarding the farley rest. He recommended removing the silicone rubber boot surrounding the joy stick. Because it applied resistance to the control and the rifle could move when your hand was taken off the joy stick. Wouldn't applying the correct amount of preload via the damping screw alleviate this. Perhaps he is talking about a different model compared to mine. Would anyone like to clarify this point.
Andy.

Regardless of preload the boot is acting against the desired action and the resistance it offers changes as you increase throw from center. I stripped mine down and could easily notice the difference.

al

Why persist

I wonder why farley persist with installing the boot when the overall consensus amongst their consumers is that it is a hinderance. By not fitting it, it would save them both time and money.
Andy

It looks better with the boot?

Anyways, I took mine away when I got the rest five years ago, and haven´t looked back. Just feels alot better without it. Have read that some guys just unscreew the the screews but lets the boot still be attached to the arm. Guess you keep some debris out that way, and still avoid the rubbery feel...

I wonder why farley persist with installing the boot when the overall consensus amongst their consumers is that it is a hinderance. By not fitting it, it would save them both time and money.
Andy

90% of the buyers of any 'racing' product aren't real racers. They still drive the market though, by sheer volume.

With that in mind, were I Farley I'd sell them just the way they are....with a boot. The boot makes it look finished, (would the typical car buyer be happy if his stickshift Ferd had an open hole?) it keeps dirt out, looks good and is easy to remove for racing.

al

Andy
Whose overall consensus ? most Farley owners I know have the boot still in place. I do know several people who have removed the boot but they are a small percentage of the Farley users I know.

Dick

Andy

It is certainly possible to design a boot with higher compliance so that its "springiness" is not objectionable, and still keep the dirt out. Farley, are you listening?

My rest is one of the early models I guess where the boot was screwed onto the face (he changed that to gain extra range in movement I think). Anyway, I simply removed the screws and let the boot move with the handle, yet the boot stays against the body and I hope it helps keep some of the dirt out.

When I discussed this with Mike, he pointed out that the mechanism is completely open underneath, making sealing it with the boot, form his perspective somewhat pointless (my words). I think that this leaves us with the boot being there more for appearance than function. I understand that ungly doeesn't market well, but after you have the product, it would seem that doing a little tuning, based on testing, would almost be automatic. Mike has a lot of time in with Farleys, and his shooting record speaks for itself. When he speaks, I listen.

The boot makes it look finished, (would the typical car buyer be happy if his stickshift Ferd had an open hole?) it keeps dirt out, looks good and is easy to remove for racing.

A street car I would buy looking finished. The race car I would buy with no frills because it adds weight. So if I am interpreting what you are saying correctly they should make two types of rest. A pretty one for the run of the mill shooters and one for those with racing rifles. That might just be a good way of increasing sales.
Andy.

Back