Difference in primers

Pete Wass

can someone tell me the difference between pistol primers and rifle primers? Thanks.

Last edited:
Good question Pete

Last spring I wanted to blow out some brass, primers were hard to come by so I didn't want to use up my good Federal Match primers just to blow out brass. I decided to try some small pistol primers and couldn't see any noticeable difference vs using small rifle primers.

I am assuming that there must be some difference, I just don't know what it is, but would like to know.

Dick

I think you'll find that they have lighter or softer cups so they will ignite effectively with the puny firing pin force of some pistols. That characteristic would make them undesirable for loads with a bit of pressure behind them.

About what I thought

I have some older Rem small rifle primers and want to load some ammo for my Reising. I think the Reising might set them off. I will try a few. I don't have any small pistol primers and have a few cases that take them. I was afraid of a dangerous situation is all. Thanks

What Kielly said.... you can use rifle in a pistol if they'll fire, but putting pistol in a rifle they might bust. Pistol primer cups are thinner/softer.

al

What Al said, but if you're trying rifle primers in a handgun with a light mainspring/hammer spring they might well not fire. Also if you try high pressure rifle loads with pistol primers be sure to wear your good shooting glasses because they're likely to pierce or worse.

In the large version, the rifle primers seat deeper.

Back