difference between 40x and standard Walker trigger

Rodtka

Have been using and adjusting standard 700 triggers for far too many years but have never seen a 40x trigger. They are recommended to adjust lighter down to 1 1/2 lb? Design? Tighter tolerances?

Not a bench rester but really enjoy varminting, tuning, and reading all the Benchrest forums. [for years]

When I purchased my Custom Shop 40X two years ago (Now made at Dakota Arms) the option was a 40X Trigger set down as low as 1.5 pounds or an after market trigger set as low as 2 ounces. I believe they were offering a Jewel for that option.

Bob

There are 3 variations of 40X trigger groups.

1. International w/ adjustable fwd/aft trigger shoe of which only a dozen or so were manufactured by Remington & most manufactured by R.W.Hart.

2. 40X Repeater Trigger Group of which is a modified 700 trigger group with a re-located pull weight adjustment screw.
Safety & bolt release levers.

3.40X Single Shot trigger Group most commonly referred to as the 2OZ that is of 3 lever design, identified by a 2 legged torsion spring preloading the mid lever & a large witness hole where the safety & upper bolt release pivot pin would be in a Repeater or 700 trigger group.
NO safety or bolt release lever.

There are several copied 2OZ variations, around,some are true abortions.

I'm wondering why you can adjust the 40x down to 1 1/2 lb and the regular 700 [walker] cannot without a lot of work and then it's not recommended? Has to be some difference in design or tolerances. What?

The 40X Repeater & 700 trigger groups use the same pull weight spring.

The 40X Repeater pull weight screw is re-located/diagonally & pushes a .100" ball bearing w/ a pointed #8 headless screw positioned fwd of the trigger lever & aft of the bolt release lever tab.
The 40X trigger group adjustment range is limited by the pointed #8 screw in the 700's #6 pull weight adjusted screw threaded hole.

I've cleaned/re-worked/properly adjusted 700 trigger groups to 4oz, once every aspect is TIMED correctly.

"every aspect is timed correctly" - I assume you mean finding that balance between sear engagement and trigger spring weight? The method of changing trigger weight between the two triggers doesn't seem to significant to me except one can be done externally. No? 4 oz seems way too light for a standard Walker to me but who knows. I think there is still something different between the two trigger design's or it's as simple as the older triggers [and maybe 40x's] being built "tighter". I know some of the more recent Walkers just can't be adjusted as low or consistently as the older ones.

Diagrams of both triggers look the same to me except for the trigger return method, but in the end both methods still increase or decrease spring pressure on the trigger connector.

There's more to the TIMING issue than simple adjustments.
As stated,the ONLY difference between a 40X Repeater & 700 trigger group is the pull weight adjustment modification.
Operation between the 2 is exactly the same.

The 4OZ experiment was accomplished on my personal equipment & only my personal equipment 1 time to satisfy my curiosity.

The floating CONNECTOR in both trigger groups negates any tolerance variations between configurations.

IF,IF, you have ANY discernible BACKLASH between the TRIGGER LEVER & CONNECTOR you have a DANGEROUS, IMPROPERLY adjusted trigger group.

Thanks to everyone for their patience but I'm still confused as to why Remington will advertise their 40x triggers are suitable for 1 1/2 lb and not the regular 700 trigger. I assume the 40x triggers can all be adjusted to 24 oz and be safe and yet they make no claim for the 700. I have heard of only a very few people who will take them down this low for customers and then it involves a lighter spring.

Backlash is the connector not being fully seated or loose when cocked? I guess.

Rodtka,
Backlash is the connector not being fully seated or loose when cocked? I guess.

IF,IF, you have ANY discernible BACKLASH between the TRIGGER LEVER & CONNECTOR you have a DANGEROUS, IMPROPERLY adjusted trigger group.

The adjustment design & ball bearing 'tis the reason why the 40X trigger group is easily adjusted to lighter pull weights compared to 700 trigger groups.

Since you are still in a state of confusion-
Seek professional assistance w/ a 'smith that knows how to properly adjust a Walker Design Trigger Group.

I thought all along that the 40x method of weight adjustment was just so it could be adjusted externally but like I said I have never seen a 40x trigger other than a diagram. It's just spring pressure, direct or indirect from the adjusting screw. The link earlier from Remington on the 40x was interesting in that they called for .010 sear engagement. I don't know anyone who will adjust to less than .020 in a regular Walker. The only Walkers I have seen which will tolerate .010 or a hair less are the older ones which are quite tight in the trigger pin and likely shimmed as well.

For sure the connector must return solidly everytime to maintain identical sear engagement and with sufficient force to pass the bump test. Absolute cleanliness is essential. Some people epoxy the connector solidly to the trigger and claim better consistency and improve safety by keeping debris out. This would seem to be similar to a Timney or Shilen then?

Last edited:
Back