devcon plastic steel: putty or liquid?

tiny68

I want to bed a couple of my rifles. I have to set pillars in one stock. The others will all be skim bed jobs. Putty or liquid and why?

Thanks for input, Tim

Putty for the basic bedding and liquid for the skim coats.

The putty has a bit more shrinkage than the liquid. Using the putty for the main bedding cause it is easier to use and doesn't flow as fast. Once that sets up (I'd give it 3-4 days so that you get full shrinkage),the metal will come out of the stock pretty easily. Now come back and lightly scuff the bedding (I use red Scotchbrite) and lay a thin layer of the liquid in place. That will provide the intimate contact between bedding and metal you are after.

That is my .02 worth on that.

Bob

I have some Devcon steel putty 10110 which has gotten stiff. Can you thin it with anything or just throw it away. I have only used one quarter of it and it is very expensive so I hate to throw it away. Thanks for any input.
Brush

I have some Devcon steel putty 10110 which has gotten stiff. Can you thin it with anything or just throw it away. I have only used one quarter of it and it is very expensive so I hate to throw it away. Thanks for any input.
Brush

Try thinning a batch with isopropyl alcohol, it works well as a thinner on fresh stuff :)

al

I talked to devcon about eight years ago on what to use to thin the aluminum putty and they recommended acetone. they had their own thinner
before that, but they quit making it. rogina

Back