Determining touch vs jam

I guess inside neck cleanliness can be argued ad nauseam. I've done both ultrasonic and just a quick couple of strokes with a nylon brush. My gun, a 6 BR, definitely groups a bit more consistent with the latter (LT with around 0.0025" on tension, ~0.005" into the lands). As stated above, what works for one may not work for the masses.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I haven't read all the posts but this is how I achieve just touching, taught to me by the master of fashion Mr. Harley Baker. I take a sized case seat a bullet long and chamber it with firing pin removed. Then I keep seating the bullet deeper into the case until there is hardly any feel of a click at the end of bolt lift to extract the case. You have to be very gentle when getting close to just touching, measure that case and bullet with comparater and you have it.

Dan H

Last edited:
I haven't read all the posts but this is how I achieve just touching, taught to me by the master of fashion Mr. Harley Baker. I take a sized case seat a bullet long and chamber it with firing pin removed. Then I keep seating the bullet deeper into the case until there is hardly any feel of a click at the end of bolt lift to extract the case. You have to be very gentle when getting close to just touching, measure that case and bullet with comparater and you have it.

Dan H
Dan, that's the very method I'm going to use this afternoon after I get my Saturday morning chores done. Supposed to be a fairly nice day tomorrow and I want to get some loads done for testing at the range tomorrow.

Try the jump...

Dan, that's the very method I'm going to use this afternoon after I get my Saturday morning chores done. Supposed to be a fairly nice day tomorrow and I want to get some loads done for testing at the range tomorrow.

Jerry,

Do yourself a favor... Once you got your seating in / or near the lands, take that seating depth tool and seat some around .015 - .020 off...
Compare...

If as good AND consistent.... Ummm a win... .. An you can open the bolt with live round >without< disturbing the seating depth.... No stuck bullets and dumped powder...!:cool:

Works for me,
cale

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry,

Do yourself a favor... Once you got your seating in / or near the lands, take that seating depth tool and seat some around .015 - .020 off...
Compare...

If as good AND consistent.... Ummm a win... .. An you can open the bolt with live round >without< disturbing the seating depth.... No stuck bullets and dumped powder...!:cool:

Works for me,
cale

Well, I haven't taken my test loads to the range yet, so I will add some of those to the mix.

Thanks for the info

I personaly feel like, if you use a little extra neck tension and a touch more neck clearance ".0035 " that in itself will take care of some minor variances in how the brass grips the bullet, or neck tension as a hole. If a little is good, then a little more is always better, right?????
As far as touch. I make gizzies with barrel stubs from every barrel I chamber. Makes finding touch extremely easy. Lee

Back