Dedicated fireform barrel

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
Jackie you fireform before neck turning by using a .22 bullet in the .220 case in an old 6PPC barrel, right? I've wondered how much difference you could have between the fireform barrel and the barrel to be used. I guess i'm thinking about thousandths of headspace. If the fireform barrel has, say, .001-.002/3 less head space than the fireform barrel, would the case fill out the chamber sufficiently in the new barrel and stay that way. Right now I've got three 6PPC rifles that have multiple barrels in .262 and .269 neck size. How many of these barrels could I support with one fireform barrel? The fireform barrel has .262.neck. Or would this just be an exercise in futility?

I know this question isn't for me, but I always set the headspace .001 less in my FF barrel than the barrel I intend on shooting for matches. I would rather blow my case out .001 in my good barrel than set the shoulders back .002.

basically I don't ever want to FF my brass to a length that's any longer than my match barrel.. Just my thinking... lee

Last edited:
eeLee

I know this question isn't for me, but I always set the headspace .001 less in my FF barrel than the barrel I intend on shooting for matches. I would rather blow my case out .001 in my good barrel than set the shoulders back .002.

basically I don't ever want to FF my brass to a length that's any longer than my match barrel.. Just my thinking... lee

I had started to post this in another thread but decided I would be hijacking the thread, so I just copied the text and started another thread. Jackie had posts in the other thread and I guess I should have deleted the reference to him. Oh well, I've been sick and not thinking real clear through the fog of Nyquill, Musinex and Robitussin. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. By the way, love the look of your HVY 10.

220 Russian case in a 6ppc chamber bump the should fire with .22 cal bullet or use pistol powder with a patch with a little oil in the case in a .262 6ppc chamber is fine. Your are going to have to expand the necks before turning weather it be .262 or .269

Back