Darn Allenhead Bolts

Hornady is sending a couple replacement rings. I expect that these are outsourced and they don't keep screws separately. Might be a metric size then. All's swell that ends swell.

Allen

...and probably more common these days. Most hardware store fasteners are crap. Most allen wrenches are also crap. You can blame "imports" but there's a lot of domestically produced garbage as well. I order fasteners from McMaster, because they still list a spec. It turns out that "Carlyle" from Napa (no, I didn't believe it at first either) makes a good quality allen (and torx) T-handle wrench. Lots of junk on the market these days and it pays huge dividends to seek out the good fasteners and tools.

GsT

ALLEN makes quality allen wrenches and they are not cheap...made in the USA. IMO just as good has my BONDHUS set. i use the smaller sizes a lot and never had a problem. As mentioned before a small pin punch can loosen an allen head.

Mort

My old RCBS dies.......

......have a solid die lock ring, with a factory installed hex set screw including lead under the screw.

The lead deforms into the die threads when screw is tightened......locking the ring setting.

To reset the lock ring......the old instructions said to lightly hit the slightly loosened set screw with a leather mallet......sort of an art-form, to slightly loosen lock ring lead for a smooth ring re-adjustment.
Easier to do.....than type.

Also.....over the years,I've adapted an RCBS Precision Mic for use when case forming, FL sizing, and shoulder bumping. Very repeatable measurements, as compared to caliper measuring methods.
I've also made "adapters" over the years, for different chambers and cartridges.

Hopefully the pic will work. :)

Kevin

https://i.postimg.cc/zvv6yfdR/223-Prec-Mic-Set.jpg

Last edited:
Back