Damascus???

George,
He has a buddy in Mississippi I think that is a fulltime"damascus" maker. I'm building a custom mauser and I am putting custom "damascus" scope bases on it. They are a b!tch to machine and the material ain't cheap.

I'm building a custom mauser and I am putting custom "damascus" scope bases on it. They are a b!tch to machine and the material ain't cheap.

Out of curiousity what metal finish will be used on the bases? Rest of the rifle?

Butch, you are right. Definitions are different.

But when it comes to Shotgun Barrels, I assumed that everybody knew that when you said "damascus" barrels, what that meant was the proccess of wrapping a steel coil around a mandrel, and by heat and forging, bonded it into a "solid" piece of steel.

I guess any proccess that involves folding layers of steel back upon themselves and forging with heat could be called "damascus'..........jackie

I talked to Bailey Bradshaw just a little bit an hour ago. He said a fellow in Florida has just been able to replicate the old old type damascus. `The fellow in Mississippi that did my "damascus" was Chad Nichols.

250-3000 and it is out for rust blue now, pictures of the completed project will follow.

Jim

Modern damascus is kind of like buying a Ferrari to find out it's a body on a VW frame. That happens...still ain't a Ferrari.

The thing with Damascus is that the look of it did not come from rolling, folding or lamenating any steel. It came from inpurities and other minerals present in the steel during the forging process. This they know. They just haven't been able to figure out exactly what minerals and process caused the look. Lamenating, etc is just creating a look...not the steel. I just always believed that if someone called a car a Ferrari...then it should be a Farrari. Buy the way, I am now calling my fools gold...Gold...since it looks like it...that sure increases it's value.

Sure is pretty either way.

Hovis

Kevin,
I will get the contact for you of the guy in Florida and you can visit with him. My guy said it was from Syria and yes it is different than our present day"damascus".

That would be great Butch. I studied this steel for a long time. I know some have been trying to break the mirco structure and one person had gotten close. One of the big problems is getting samples, nobody wants to give any real samples up for testing which destroys it. But one guy did obtain some and he was getting close but I can't remember his name for the life of me, I do have an article from home that he wrote a year or so ago about his findings.

How's the grandson doing with his injury? Hope to see you at the Supershoot, if I can make it.

Keep us honest Butch.

Kevin Hovis

Kevin,
I won't make the SS this year. Josh is well and looking forward to starting school and football at West Virginia in June. Josh benchpressed 390 on Monday. He may not end up being the best kicker in the nation, but I think you have to do a lot of searching to find a stronger one. I will get the guys info for you.

That would be great Butch. I studied this steel for a long time. I know some have been trying to break the mirco structure and one person had gotten close. One of the big problems is getting samples, nobody wants to give any real samples up for testing which destroys it. But one guy did obtain some and he was getting close but I can't remember his name for the life of me, I do have an article from home that he wrote a year or so ago about his findings.

How's the grandson doing with his injury? Hope to see you at the Supershoot, if I can make it.

Keep us honest Butch.

Kevin Hovis

Are you refering to these articles? A friend does some damascus forgings and he refered these to me a while back when we were discussing "wootz steel".

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/jom/9809/verhoeven-9809.html

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/9809/Verhoeven-9809.page1.lg.gif

Back