cz action

B

bullzeye

i have a previous thread asking about rem 40x and cooper trp-3.
i have a cz action and was wondering with a new barrel,trigger and stock can
i make a decent entry level benchrest rifle?
any suggestions for the barrel trigger and stock.
also what suggestions for a scope. iam leaning towards a zeiss conquest
6.5x20 with a dot reticle. any help would be appreciated.

With a Brooks trigger kit, I have my 452 down to 6 oz. and could go a little lower. Don Stith makes a great stock and will inlet for the 452. As far as a barrel, you and your smith need to decide what would work best. From what I understand the CZ is a bear to rebarrel. I'm having one done right now with a Broughton barrel, and I can't wait to get it back. I'll keep you guys updated.

i have a previous thread asking about rem 40x and cooper trp-3.
i have a cz action and was wondering with a new barrel,trigger and stock can
i make a decent entry level benchrest rifle?
any suggestions for the barrel trigger and stock.
also what suggestions for a scope. iam leaning towards a zeiss conquest
6.5x20 with a dot reticle. any help would be appreciated.

Pardon me if this sounds screwy but why are you tryng to spend 1/2 as much on the rifle and 4 times as much on the scope.... which will still be underpowered. Get the 40x put a barrel on it, buy a Weaver 36x, and take you wife out for dinner with the difference.

How well

will it shoot? How is its consistency? I still cannot say for sure. I have not shot mine enough to really come to a conclusion. The little bit of experience I have with mine is that it is the most accurate rimfire I have ever had. It is by no means one of the higher end rimfires but it definately does what I want. I have shot some groups in the high ones with it at 50 yards.

Stith stock with Benchmark reverse taper barrel.

2008_0519Image0021.jpg

2008_0519Image0022.jpg

I have heard that they are a BEAR as well to work on but since I am not the gunsmith I cannot answer that. Ask Dennis Sorensen on the board he was the man. I think it is more fiddling around trying to make all the small cuts required for the extractors.

I 2 cannot wait until Butch gets that 2oz trigger out on the market. My 8oz just does not cut it after pulling 2oz triggers.

In reality it is no different than the money people spend on accurizing there Rem 700's. You do it for yourself. Not to try and sell and recoup some of your money.

Calvin

Last edited:
could you give addresses for stith stock and benchmark barrels.
by the way nice rifle. the stock is almost exactly what i would like.
by the way calvin what scope?

Benchmark Barrels

Ron Sinnema, 360-652-2594, 1105 Pioneer Hwy. E, Arlington, Wash. 98223

Bullzeye,

don't look at the scope it is just a cheap Bushnell Banner 6-18X50 that I put on for now. It does the trick for the little bit of shooting I do with the rimfire. It is tough shooting with it when I am used to my 36X Weaver on my centerfire benchgun.

I took it out this evening in some switchy wind conditions. The Eley Tenex EPS did not fair so well. The Lapua Midas M shot circles as far as I am concerned around the ELEY with my limited flag reading skills.

I still prefer shooting the centerfire over the rimfire. The rimfire is just for a change of pace.

Here is the link to Stith's website.

http://www.donstith.com/benchrest_stocks.html

Calvin

calvin:
my name is harold and i live in winnipeg. could you e-mail me your phone #
so i can talk to you more about your rifle.
haroldl@mts.net

Pardon me if this sounds screwy but why are you tryng to spend 1/2 as much on the rifle and 4 times as much on the scope.... which will still be underpowered. Get the 40x put a barrel on it, buy a Weaver 36x, and take you wife out for dinner with the difference.

For the absolute MAX you may want a little more than 6X, but in all seriousness you don't HAVE to have 36X for rimfire shooting. I have done limited HBR shooting, but have won a few club matches and can hold about a bullet hole at 100 yards. HBR uses the same size ten ring at 100 yards that rimfire does at 50 yards. I haven't shot any rimfire matches, but I've practiced a little with a 6X hunting scope with a duplex and holding off is much easier with it at 50 yards than with my Weaver T-6 with a target dot at 100 yards. TONS of HBR shooters shoot 250's and they ALL hold off to do it. You can see just fine with a 6X to shoot rimfire. You do, however, need a good crosshair. Not a hunting type crosshair.

Bill, since the fellow asked this on the BR forum and it would appear from his question he's trying to put togeather a 101/2# gun, about 99% of the guys that shoot them seem to do so with a scope between 36x-45x.

Bill, since the fellow asked this on the BR forum and it would appear from his question he's trying to put togeather a 101/2# gun, about 99% of the guys that shoot them seem to do so with a scope between 36x-45x.

The point is simply that if HBR guys can regularly shoot 250's at 100 yards with 6X scopes on the SAME SIZE BULL that rimfires use at fifty yards then you can see just fine with WELL under 36X. Ask any HBR guy that is good and he'll tell you that he can hold about a bullet hole with a 6X scope. 36X at fifty yards is ridiculous. I know that seems to be the thing to do, but if you can't see with 12X-18X then you don't need a new scope, you need to see a good optometrist. Don't overlook the advantage of being able to see your flags through the scope when using a lesser power. You'll miss fewer let-ups that way, especially when you're just getting started.

The point is simply that if HBR guys can regularly shoot 250's at 100 yards with 6X scopes on the SAME SIZE BULL that rimfires use at fifty yards then you can see just fine with WELL under 36X. Ask any HBR guy that is good and he'll tell you that he can hold about a bullet hole with a 6X scope. 36X at fifty yards is ridiculous. I know that seems to be the thing to do, but if you can't see with 12X-18X then you don't need a new scope, you need to see a good optometrist. Don't overlook the advantage of being able to see your flags through the scope when using a lesser power. You'll miss fewer let-ups that way, especially when you're just getting started.

You know this would be entertaining to continue but perhaps I might sugest that you either acces the photo sections of this site to review all the pretty pictures of the guns with their scopes or actually go to a match someplace before misinforming some poor soul on equipment. Also the score guys use the 6's by rule not preference. Lastly, that left eye, not really doing anything while your shooting..... open it.... notice all the flags in front of you.:D

You know this would be entertaining to continue but perhaps I might sugest that you either acces the photo sections of this site to review all the pretty pictures of the guns with their scopes or actually go to a match someplace before misinforming some poor soul on equipment. Also the score guys use the 6's by rule not preference. Lastly, that left eye, not really doing anything while your shooting..... open it.... notice all the flags in front of you.:D

I know it's by rule, I shoot HBR at a club around here. I'm not saying that 6X should be you preference for rimfire bench, but to say it is completely inadequate would be wrong. I can hold off just fine at 100(and good HBR shooters can do a fantastic job of it) so there should be no problem with doing it at 50. I'm putting together a bit of an intro level rimfire right now because with copper so high the 30 cal is getting expensive. I did a little fooling around with a rimfire a month or so ago and shot a few targets with a 6X and a 24X. The 6X was adequate. I'm looking for something cheap in the 10X-18X range to put on the rig I'm putting together.

Back