Cutting Oil

I use it and I like it. Viper venom produces better threads for me with my kennametal carbide threading tool. Also, ace hardware sells a similar product for half the money.
The rigid oil doesn't mist like the viper venom so I use it the most. Vv blows off all over the place and I end up breathing it. Not good. Lee

Jerry, yep that's the one. I'm in need of more oil & now I have to see if I can find it locally. Thanks guys.

If you have a Lowes they will have the Rigid.

Home Depot probably does too but the co founder of Home Depot, Bernie Marcus, recently gave one of the gun-ban groups a big bunch of money according to some reports. Home Depots in Texas are having rallies to protest about carry policies.

GG-don't mist any coolants especially oils and solvents like Tap Magic unless you have a good vent system.

I don't mist anything. Blowing a tenon dry with an air hose causes the trouble ive seen with certain oils. Lee

Just had my first exposure to anchor lube. Found it on amazon and used it for drilling and tapping some 1/2-20 holes amd was very happy with it. No smell and sticks to the work well.
Bottle says it can be used for heavy pressure punch type cutting or diluted with water for lighter applications. I am going to try it for turning and see if I can keep my basement sulfur oil smoke free. So far so good.

Cutting fluid

I have been using a product called Tap Magic xtra thick, I urge you to do a search on line on this product. This product is made for very hard to machine steels and Inconel. This product is thick enough to stay on a tenon being turned at 300 RPM's when I cut with HSS tool. It also stays on the tenon when you are threading it. The lubricity factor of this product is fantastic. As a result, the smoke is less than half of what I had been used to when using it for turning purposes. I pre-bore my chamber prior to reaming. This lube is so slick that I can not feel any cutting going on until I touch the shoulder to be cut. I have to watch my gauge to know that any cutting is going on!

Send me a pm if you want more info, I bought more than I need, $8 per bottle, Retail is around $13.50 per bottle!

Last edited:
Back