Cut Rifle 6 Grooves

Jim ,That 999 was shot with 2 shooters using two different lots of ammo.Just a matter of time and Rock creek 6 groove cut barrels will be on top.

That's great Mel ......I have a new project in the works with something experimental and I am gonna let one go ......

There should be a few in the SC State match next week so should be interesting

Jim

Just curious. 60 posts in this thread, none of them saying much more than "cut rifle barrels work." How many posts would there be to a thread saying, for example, "the ocean is wet"?

That's great Mel ......I have a new project in the works with something experimental and I am gonna let one go ......

Jim

DO TELL!
Ethan+Hands+on+Chin.jpg

Simple enough,

Buy one and try it. Barrels are cheap compaired to anything else we need to persue this madnes.

Charles, what is your point? They work and we are happy to own them. Is that such a bad thing?
Exactly my point. You put it well. The problem --if you consider it a problem -- is the other 59 posts in this thread don't add anything to that simple statement. They seem to have a Facebook-type social me-too function. Imagine someone new searching the forum for information.

I have a 6 groove rock creek that Im putting on tomorrow. I just took off a 5 groove rock creek that was shooting pretty good in the last 3 ara matches that I shot in. I'll let you know how it does.

Why is fellowship such a bad thing? If people wanted to ask questions this would be a great place to do that. There aren't a lot of these barrels out there and spreading the news about a good shooting barrel can only help advance rimfire accuracy.

Exactly my point. You put it well. The problem --if you consider it a problem -- is the other 59 posts in this thread don't add anything to that simple statement. They seem to have a Facebook-type social me-too function. Imagine someone new searching the forum for information.

Well I guess I see it different Charles people like to be informed. I think there are tons of threads like this, If I read a thread and don't care for it or it's content I don't read it again. Looks like a lot of people are reading this for what it's worth to them. They don't have to come back to it either if they think it's a Facebook type post.

Some people like to read new product reports and how they are doing in matches, so I guess I don't understand ...........

Jim

Many shooter just buy what is available. In the olden days, the majority of competition barrels were cut rifle. As the experience cut rifle artist retired of went to that big barrel shop in the sky, more advanced methods of producing quality barrels at a more reasonable price. It was lesser expensive to produce the button rifled barrels and they seemed to hold their own on the range. I've used both, and rarely find much to complain about with the current suppliers. Cut rifle barrel are more expensive, but are making a comeback when in the hands of an experienced barrel smith. Rock Creek, is the new kid on the block and they are trying to give the shooting world another option. My Border is no longer available in the US, but right now, it's the best shooting barrel I have. Choose for your self, or take your gunsmiths recommendation.

Many shooter just buy what is available. In the olden days, the majority of competition barrels were cut rifle. As the experience cut rifle artist retired of went to that big barrel shop in the sky, more advanced methods of producing quality barrels at a more reasonable price. It was lesser expensive to produce the button rifled barrels and they seemed to hold their own on the range. I've used both, and rarely find much to complain about with the current suppliers. Cut rifle barrel are more expensive, but are making a comeback when in the hands of an experienced barrel smith. Rock Creek, is the new kid on the block and they are trying to give the shooting world another option. My Border is no longer available in the US, but right now, it's the best shooting barrel I have. Choose for your self, or take your gunsmiths recommendation.

Fred I agree with that 100% .....People think every barrel is going to be a hammer (not so)

Other factor that can affect a great barrel

Poor ignition , poor bedding , and shooter inability

I have heard where someone has taken off a barrel and someone else has put it on and it then shoots with the best of them . So barrels are just one aspect of the game.

There often seems to be the assumption

that either the Platform or operator is the problem, not the barrel. I don't think that is often the case; not within the group of folks who have shot for awhile. It's pretty amazing how good a mediocre shooter can look with a "kooked Up" Rifle. There are barrels and then there are barrels.

There are barrels and then there are barrels.

Hasn't that all ways been the case?

With C/F BR you at least have the possibility of tweaking your loads to get a particular barrel to hum a decent tune. But with .22r/f you need that extra % to be there in the first place.

Personally I like threads such as this one. Its always good to be able to canvas opinions, and if a thread has 60 posts all saying cut barrels work, I'm happy to read them.

muttley01.jpg

Talked to the cookie monster yesterday, I am getting real excited about getting a sporter with a 6-groove to match the Hooter's gun!

Well it's time to see how the 6 grooves and the 6 O'clock pins do at the nationals .......Should be interesting ......Weather looks crappy wish I could make it but I gotta pound the pavement

Man O Man should be a killer match and Bill knows how to put one on .......

PS Charles if you don't find this thread to any value why do you post in it.................

I think with all the views it has had and people are reading it and posting and not complaining.

You don't seem to post in this forum so why now ?

Last edited by a moderator:
6 groove sporters are working at the nationals ............Cookies anyone ?

Greg Davis wins 3 of 4 classes with a 6 groove cut rifle but they don't shoot .........

Jim

Back