Custom brass and bullets

Turn them after fireforming. It's a trial and error deal in my opinion. Sure, you can work out how much to turn off mathematically but it may be quicker to just do it. What you are looking for is a neck wall thickness such that the expander ball can barely be felt when it passes back through the neck. Do it on one case at a time until you get your turner set or you risk trashing all your cases instead of a few that are guaranteed trashed. Cut a skosh, fire the case, and load - repeat on the same case until the result is acceptable. If you overcut and the case won't hold a bullet, start over with another case.

Ohhh JEEPers is this ever true!

BTDTBTTS

pita

al

For live varmint rifles and some others, if I can get a bushing FL die I select a bushing that sizes the necks just enough that the expander just kisses the insides of the necks. Measuring runout gives me headaches, but those shoot as well as I can expect given my lousy eyesight so the runout must not be too bad. If you have to drag an expander back out of the neck it's likely to be the cause of the problem.

Back