Crosswinds Tournament reminder...

D

Donna Brown

The Crosswinds #1 Fall Tournament is this Sunday, 10/12/08, llimited to 20 shooters with 4 spots still open. Cash prizes: 1st place-$200, 2nd place-$100, 3rd place-$75, most 25's-$25. Start time: 8:00a.m. Lots of fun, fish fry following match.

We look forward to seeing all who can attend!:) Donna

Wish I was able to attend, I would probably have a good chance at the "most 25's" prize! :D Hope you all have a great tournament...

Donna: I and Frank are still coming. Daletheman: I won it last year and I am winning it this year. I forget if its 25's or 50's but I will win it. Its worth the trip.
John C of IA

Friends Ray and Donna Brown

Friends Ray and Donna:

I came to your range the first time in 1992......my old friend Warren Mc Farland told me about you guys....

You named your range correctly, "Crosswinds".....but, I have never been to a range where folks felt more at home, than yours......and the food, Killer!

You used to call your match the "Frost on the Pumpkin Tournament".....cause it was in October........

Friends Ray and Donna, you guys have been here since Rimfire Benchrest started.....

I saw you guys were giving money as awards, which, in this day, and age, is awesome!...but, if I've figured correctly, you guys, can not possibly make a profit!...............

Donna and Ray, you guys are what rimfire benchrest is about, at it's absolute highest level......you guys have provided an awesome place to shoot, and, requested nothing in return, but, for folks to attend.....

I know you guys can't have but 20 shooters, but, I hope you are booked.....

Finally, when the history of Rimfire benchrest is written, you guys will own the first chapter..........

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Donna i talked to Ray last week and he said you were booked. is this not the case?

Bill you hit the nail on the head

Friends Ray and Donna:

I came to your range the first time in 1992......my old friend Warren Mc Farland told me about you guys....

You named your range correctly, "Crosswinds".....but, I have never been to a range where folks felt more at home, than yours......and the food, Killer!

You used to call your match the "Frost on the Pumpkin Tournament".....cause it was in October........

Friends Ray and Donna, you guys have been here since Rimfire Benchrest started.....

I saw you guys were giving money as awards, which, in this day, and age, is awesome!...but, if I've figured correctly, you guys, can not possibly make a profit!...............

Donna and Ray, you guys are what rimfire benchrest is about, at it's absolute highest level......you guys have provided an awesome place to shoot, and, requested nothing in return, but, for folks to attend.....

I know you guys can't have but 20 shooters, but, I hope you are booked.....

Finally, when the history of Rimfire benchrest is written, you guys will own the first chapter..........

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Billl you hit the nail on the head, Truely great people, since I started shooting ARA I have always felt like family when I am at Crosswinds. As with most ranges it is a little dissapointing that the turnout is less now than it used to be, almost everywhere I used to go we would have 2 relays, now normally one is it. I am glad that they almost have a full house for this tournament as much as they put into it.

For me with the cooler weather it is normally a tough tournament, we'll see.
Last year I just happened to be lucky enough to find a condition that worked real well.

Bill you know they would love to see you come back for a visit.
Charlie

Charlie

Crosswinds Tournament

Donna, How much will it cost to shoot your tournament? Dennis

"Frost On The Pumpkin"...

You remember it well, Friend Bill. When we named it "Frost on the Pumpkin", we had some hats and t-shirts made. The sketch on them was designed from a fax that you sent to me in the fall with the pumpkin patch and corn stalks. I still have a couple of those shirts. I'll have to see if I can find one and wear it Sunday!

1992 to 2008...a lot of good times here at Crosswinds! Memories are wonderful, especially when you can hold them in your mind and your heart when some of these awesome friends are no longer with us. Warren "Mac" McFarland...his van slipping up to the range in the middle of the night, coming from another shoot...who knows where. I'll bet you have a lot of great stories like that! Yes, he kept telling us of his friend Bill Calfee, what a great guy you were, a great gunsmith! Then he would kick our butts with his Calfee rifle! He got you to come to Crosswinds, 1992, and the rest is history! A year later, Ray got his 1st Calfee rifle and in 1995, I got mine.....

Charlie's right...we would love to have you back here. Get your ole travellin' buddy Steve Hurst...we can put you up for the weekend!:)

Nemohunter, we had a full house, but got 4 cancellations.

Armund, we'll miss you guys, but stuff happens. We'll look forward to seeing you in the spring!

Bigroe, entry fee is $65. And yes, John C said the most 25's prize was gonna be his before the match started, and by golly, he won it!:)

Remember, start time 8:00 a.m. If it's chilly out, we'll have the coffee pot going and a fire in the fire pit. See you Sunday!

Donna

Friend Donna

Friend Donna:

Man, when I was at your range in the early 90's, I remember that you and me graded targets on the hood of an old 4x4 pick-up truck......and the food was killer...this was BR-50 days......I was the official World Record scorer for Larry Brown, head of BR-50....

Donna, I'm going to send you a check for $65........do me a favor, before the match starts, draw a name from the competitors.....then refund their entry fee as I will pay it for them......I want to do this.....your's and Ray's place is so neat........and a part of history...

I'm also going to send you a check for $1,000..........if anyone at your tournament shoots an "official" 2500, certified by ARA.....the thousand dollars is theirs.....( if more than one 2500 is fired, the money will be devided equally)

Friends Donna and Ray......you two guys have worked your hearts out for the sport of rimfire benchrest.......

When it's all said and done, and the big guy upstairs calls the rimfire benchrest roll, you guys will have a range of your own in Heaven.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
called Ray today still 2 spots open after mine. i think i might have a shot at most 25's LOL. a 2500 would be a new range record as well i think it still stands at 2450.

WOW! Thank You Friend Bill!

If anything could inspire someone to shoot a 2500, besides the prestige, I think you just put it out there! :) And paying someone's way in...in these tough times, price of gas, ammo, etc....I'd say the winner of the $65 entry fee will be most appreciative! THANK YOU for helping to make this traditional tournament a success!!! Ray also says "Thank You" for your generous efforts...with scores that are being shot these days, that could be a costly gesture!

That old truck was about an '80 or '82 cream colored Jeep 4X4 and if I remember correctly, it was parked behind the range...You were the official scorer and I was a nervous wreck, not wanting to screw up...wanting to make a good impression! We became friends immediately and the joke around here is "Don't say anything bad about Bill Calfee around Donna or she'll put arsenic in your coffee!" Not far from the truth! Thank You, Friend Bill for being You!:)

We'll post who the lucky winner of the $65 entry fee is back here on Benchrest Central, and of course, if anyone shoots a 2500!

Many Thanks! Donna

packed up a ready to make the long 8 mile drive in the morning LOL. see you all there.

Easy way out...

Arsenic in the coffee would probably be the easy way out. After the scratching of the eye balls out and no telling what else, the person who had the off colored comment would probably be more than willing to "drink up". Lol
No, just kidding Donna and Ray. You will always be my good friends. We have had some great times out at the A.R.A. Nationals. The only bad thing is that the distance issue keeps us from getting to shoot together on a regular basis.
I hope you have a great tournament and a good day to shoot.
Your Indiana Friend, Doug B.

Awesome tournament. Great shooting by all except me of course LOL. i did get the most 25's though.

i got a bit more time to type now. Joe red shoes won. Brian Brant got second AND won the free entry. Ray Brown snagged third. i got most 25's. Menu consisted of Fried Catfish, Jalapeno Poppers (thanks Tom Rippie), beans, cole slaw, cheesy potatoes, american fries, Chocolate Eclair cake, and German Vanilla cake as well. i'm sure i'm forgeting something. it was a BLAST best tournament i have shot all year. Joe and Brian shot a 2450 each. Kathy almost had that check cashed. Brian was VERY close. did not get a look at Joes card to see how close he was.

Well I was no where near good enough to make this cut....Thanks Ray and Donna for another fine Fall Tournament. Bill, thanks for your support, It made the day alot of fun watching Joe Besche and Brian who was all 100s till the 23rd bull when he slid in a 50 thinking they might get to cash that check....it added alot of fun to the day and was a very thoughtful gesture on your part.

Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys...

I'm glad everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves! I also wanted to add how nice it was to see Tom Bradford & Phyllis. I think this was the only shoot he was able to make this year.

Thanks for the nice comments, Doug! Yes, it's too bad there are so many miles between us and ALL of our "Indiana Buddies"! Our Saturday night get-together at the Nationals is SOooo...much fun. Imagine how much fun it would be if we didn't have to be somewhat responsible and get some sleep so we could still shoot on Sunday....:)

Donna

Back