Crossfire

Joe Johannesson

Can anyone tell me what would be the rule in the following

Shooting in score competition.

A competitor crossfire on a sighter target from another competitor.
The shooter does not tell he crossfire, the competitor how had his sighter crossfired on tells the referee that some on is doing crossfire on his target

So. is there any penalty for this? or can you just crossfire on another target as long as it is the sighter target?

Is it why the Nationals has a second system behind the first to weed out these protestors. But that does not help you? On the local level, you take your chances and hope that the person who crossfired owes up to it. If not!!!!! That what you have referee's for. I may be wrong! but I don't think so. If I am wrong there will be someone who will jump in here.

Last edited:
No Score Involved

Looks like no harm, no foul since it does not involve a 'record bull'. I'm looking on page 31 of 'Official Score Shooting Competition Rules' (NBRSA.com). Section 11.3.4 on 'Penalties' only addresses crossfires on a bull with points involved. It does not address the sighter bull or any crossfire on it. Would be nice if the sucker owned up to it though, for cluttering up another shooter's sighter.

A later section talks of the first shot of the match escaping the sighter area but that is not your example either. There may be some other informal rule in official competition, but seems like it would be addressed in the rules.
Not an "official scorer" here , just reading the rules.

The last guy to answer you was correct. No harm, no foul. A crossfire only counts if

Can anyone tell me what would be the rule in the following

Shooting in score competition.

A competitor crossfire on a sighter target from another competitor.
The shooter does not tell he crossfire, the competitor how had his sighter crossfired on tells the referee that some on is doing crossfire on his target

So. is there any penalty for this? or can you just crossfire on another target as long as it is the sighter target?

the bullet strikes the scoring area. nothing if it is in the sighter. Been there , ddone that.

David

Looks like no harm, no foul since it does not involve a 'record bull'. I'm looking on page 31 of 'Official Score Shooting Competition Rules' (NBRSA.com). Section 11.3.4 on 'Penalties' only addresses crossfires on a bull with points involved. It does not address the sighter bull or any crossfire on it. Would be nice if the sucker owned up to it though, for cluttering up another shooter's sighter.

A later section talks of the first shot of the match escaping the sighter area but that is not your example either. There may be some other informal rule in official competition, but seems like it would be addressed in the rules.
Not an "official scorer" here , just reading the rules.

Thank you for taking time to answer, It is a little strange if one can use the other man sighter with out any issue, but this is what everyone is saying so it is good to clarify this.

Thank you for taking time to answer, It is a little strange if one can use the other man sighter with out any issue, but this is what everyone is saying so it is good to clarify this.

If this were done repeatedly, it would amount to unsportsmanlike conduct, and possible disqualification: that would be up to the referees. RG

I did this once under strange circumstances. I had left my rifle in the bags when I went in to reload. Before I leave the rifle in this condition I always put the crosshairs on the lower right sighter bull. When I returned to shoot, my first shot was in the sighter bull but there was a yell from the guy on my left saying some one had crossfired on his target. I quickly determined I was the culprit and owned up to it. How it happened is that during the break I had seen a guy sitting on my stool talking to someone. He had leaned back and moved my rear bag just enough to be on the target to my left. When I looked through my scope it looked as if it were just where I had left it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

In regard to RG's post #7

This original posted situation actually happened at the last NBRSA VFS/Hunter National Match that was hosted in South West Louisiana which was a few years ago. A competitor was evidently having difficulty and the bench next to him was empty so he was intentionally using the target sighter bull on that empty bench to sort things out. The first time he did it the target crew did not report it because they knew it was an empty bench and that no scoring bulls had shots in them, then it happened the 2nd time and the target crew reported it- the offender was forthright and told what happened to a referee and the referee told him that if it happened again he could be DQ'd as possible unsportsmanlike conduct as described in the rulebook.

Wayne Corley

Talking crossfires

Scenario,

You shoot your 5 shot group on a target that is on a empty bench next to your left. You get up and start to head to clean. The guy to your right asks where is your group? He says it is there. You say no it is not. He sits down and realizes he shot his group on the wrong target. The target of the empty bench. He then proceeds to shoot his group on his target?

Crossfire? Or not?

Scenario,

You shoot your 5 shot group on a target that is on a empty bench next to your left. You get up and start to head to clean. The guy to your right asks where is your group? He says it is there. You say no it is not. He sits down and realizes he shot his group on the wrong target. The target of the empty bench. He then proceeds to shoot his group on his target?

Crossfire? Or not?

Starting at the 4th sentence, did you "crossfire" the "he" and "you" -- or am I confused?

Scenario,

Crossfire? Or not?

I shot my fourth group Sunday afternoon at Raton. I set up on the bench on the second relay. There was one shooter on the first target on the frame, two empty targets, mine and another empty target. I shot my group fairly pleased with it, then noticed that there was a bullet hole on the target next to me. I thought someone is cross firing. Then I looked at my target number and I realized that someone was me. When the match time was up I told the range officer I had crossfired my group. While it’s tempting to go ahead and shoot a group on your own target, if a shooter does that it’s interpreted as trying to conceal a crossfire and is grounds for disqualification.

B96D56BF-67C2-4B3F-9CA6-FAD23A4B0040.jpeg

Thanks Mike

In this case he did not try to conceal it. He did not realize what he had done in this case until I advised him.

This happened many years ago, I cannot remember whT the refs decided. I think they let it go as we are a small group and he travelled a fair distance.

Back