Crazzy old Canuck needs a little help with .308

manitou210

Hello Guys
Just got back my old hunter class gun, same condition as I sold it only has 12 more shots down the barrel, total now app: 550 When I shot Hunter class back in 70s max weight was 10lbs and max scope was 6x. Gun was made up by PJ Hart 23,1/2" 1.250" for a foot or more then .775 at muzzel, 1/12 twist on a Rem 700 action, with canjar trigger,
I shot quite a few 50 with 3 or 4 x with a load of H4895 39gr with 168gr Sierra's benchrest primers.kissing the rifling. neck sized only.very light load,

I never shot this load more than 200 yards and would like to step up speed for some 300 yard shooting, I really would like to be able to show some of the young pups at range that think there Savages are the best guns ever made.
I put on a Nightforce 8by 32 Benchrest scope and picked up 50 Lapua brass
Here is where I need some advise from benchrest Central members.
a good load!!
Bullets on hand 168gr Speer Match, 168gr Sierra Match, 155gr Sierra Match palma
Powders most everything 4064,4350, H414, Varget, H4831, 748,H335 & 322,
VT 540, Rl 15 & 19,
Forget any advise on other bullets Like Bergers etc can't buy them in Canada
any advise would be nice as long as it helps me tune up those Savage guys
Manitou

308 load data

With the 155 SMK I have shot from 45 to 47 grains of Varget depending on the lot. Seated to 2.8 OAL my best results are with prepped winchester brass and Federal 210gm primers. All this in several Palma rifles

Manitou, the two loads that were commonly used by 300 Meter ISU shooters with the .308 in the cartridge's "glory days" were 39.0 and 41.0 of IMR4895 with the Sierra 168; I think you're right in the ballpark already. The only variable is the Lapua brass. I would suggest dropping to 38.0 to work the lower range and then working it up, but I think the 38.0 to 39.0 range will give you what you want. Primers are always important, look for a nice mild one like the PMC/Wolf Russian made primers, older Federals (gold box, or red box) or the CCI BR2. Don't sacrifice accuracy for velocity!

Back in the 90s I had great luck with 42-44 grains of 748. I was mostly shooting Berger 168 VLDs, but it also shot Sierra 168 Matchkings very well. I was using CCI Large Rifle benchrest primers. It didn't shoot as well with Federals. Also, I was neck sizing only using Lapua brass. Until I shot out that factory barrel it was agging well under .5 inches. Rifle was a Rem 700 VS.

Forgot to mention that load length was anywhere from touching the lands to .020 off the lands...best length seemed to vary as the throat eroded.

Manitou, you

Forget any advise on other bullets Like Bergers etc can't buy them in Canada
any advise would be nice as long as it helps me tune up those Savage guys
Manitou

are wrong on the Bergers in Canada. There are many dealers up here who sell them or can bring them in. Our local dealer in Brandon sells Bergers like a house on fire.

Calvin

Try 41.3 gr RL 15 work up 41.5 41.7 42gr or so use cci Br2 Primers

Seat at 2.815"OAL or as your match barrel requires.

The 168 match load is IMR4064 41.3 gr Match 168gr.

155gr shoot as good with less recoil.

In my 1x12 barrel I Shoot 150gr SMK 42RL15 best.

RL 15 keeps barrel cooler than IMR4064.

H4895 is a better powder than the IMR version for temperature stability in
hot desert climates.

I think the Nosler Custom Competition 168's have a higher BC than the Sierras do. I think they're also cheaper. Nosler uses J-4 jackets on their CC bullets and I've heard they're better than todays Sierras. I haven't shot either so I couldn't tell you from experience.

Well

The 308 is a nice responsive cartridge ...

Cases - Again use what the rifle likes ...

Same with bullets .. Primers ..

Powder , use one that fills the case without being a compressed load ...

You may end up testing 3 or 4 Powders , same with primers , and cases and projectiles ...

When you find a combination that works , then you fine tune ...

I had a combo that simply worked , 165Gr BT , Fed Cases , Win Primers , and a powder that filled the case without compressing the load ...
[ Forget what powder ] Used 3 in those days ....

In my 300 meter "F" class rifle, in 308, I use 41 of 4895 and 168's. I use 43 and 150's. I just got some Nosler 155's but have yet to try them. My only group with 154 lapua's gave me about 1 1/4 inch of vertical at 300M so more experimentation is in order there. I think they have potential. I use Lapua and Lake city brass. Regards, Bill.

Nosler Competition Bullets

I have both 155 and 168gr Nosler bullets and they shoot extremely well, at $25 per 100. That is cheaper than 52gr .22 Match Bullets. My Tikka loves 45grs of H4895. Its right at the limit and gets top flight velocity as well as accuracy. RL15 and Imr4064 work well also. Just have to try them. Someone here will recommend my favorite fertilizer aka Varget.

Back