Copper remover and brass bore brushes?

Hi:

Am I missing something here or not. If I use a copper remover in conjunction with a brass,bronze, bore brush, won't my following patches show a trace of copper?Lol

I seems to me that the solvent will destroy a brass brush quickly. Perhaps one should only use a brush that has nylon bristles when using a copper solvent!

Stay well,

Zeke

yep....
which is why i said to replace brushes often and /or use fibre nylon brusuhes.....

a brass core brush with copper/brass/bronze bristles will still clean, but in the end you will need to go to patches to remove the cross contaminatiog of the brush....

or use chemicals and fibre/synthertic brushes....

better living thru better chemestry...

mike in co
Hi:

Am I missing something here or not. If I use a copper remover in conjunction with a brass,bronze, bore brush, won't my following patches show a trace of copper?Lol

I seems to me that the solvent will destroy a brass brush quickly. Perhaps one should only use a brush that has nylon bristles when using a copper solvent!

Stay well,

Zeke

I was told along time ago when asking the same thing of an older shooter who recomended Sweets for cleaning 308 barrels. Brushes are cheap use them and toss them when they get eaten up.

sweets and brass brushes is not very productive.....
I was told along time ago when asking the same thing of an older shooter who recomended Sweets for cleaning 308 barrels. Brushes are cheap use them and toss them when they get eaten up.

May not be politically correct but it worked then for a bunch of us. Sorry, but been there and done that with factory barrels; never needed to do that to a custom barrel.

sorry,,,but brushes wear,,......they do not "last a long time" in usable condition...
try mic'ing the od of a new brush and a used brush...they wear as in wear out...
add sweet's to the mix and they just wear faster....
(you ever wonder why brownells and sinclair sell them by the DOZEN ?)
mike in co

when done with sweets and brush....wash brush out with laquer thinner........lasts a long time....

Barrel cleaning discussions need to be divided into two categories, factory, and lapped. They are that different. Getting to the question, if you examine a new brush, it is larger in diameter, and the bristles are longer than one that has been used, and somewhat irregular in how far they extend from the center of the brush. After it has been used, even if no copper solvent is involved, the bristles are of more uniform length, and have ends that are squared off. This is from being abraded against the interior of the barrel. As this process takes place, particles of bronze bristle material are distributed throughout the bore, that will react with the ammonia in a bore cleaner like Butch's if the bore is left to soak after brushing, pretty much guaranteeing a blue patch. For that reason, you should not assume that the color is an indication of what a bullet has left behind on the surface of the bore. To get that sort of a reading, a couple of wet patches need to be run through after brushing,to get rid of most of the bristle residue, before letting the barrel soak. As far as copper solvents and brush wear are concerned, with something less extreme, which is all that my barrels require, simply pulling the brush through a rag or wadded up paper towel that I have drawn the rod through, seems to get the job done. The brush is dried sufficiently so that my brushes seem to last well. Others may clean with brake cleaner, which I do not like, because what one sprays, without protection, one breaths. Others have found that rinsing with alcohol does a good job.

Back