Cone Breech and Crown Cutting Tools?????

Dennis_in_VA

I am in the cutting tool buying mode now and I would like to know what you more experienced guys are using to cut your crowns and cone breeches with.

I would like to be able to use replaceable insert tools but I can grind if I have to.

Part / Model #'s and pictures of the tools (hand ground ones) would be great if you have them.

Thanks,
Dennis

Last edited:
I just grind my own tools out of carbide turning tools . Nothing goes in the barrels that does not have too. Plug the bore so chips don't end up in the bore. The Rifler

Yuck

As a Machinist, the thought of cutting the cone by any method except single point tooling with the compound off set to the correct degrees is crude.

I feel the same way about crowns........jackie

Anything other than a single point for crown and cone is a gimmick.

Jay, Idaho

I still use some hand ground HSS but have gravitated to inserted tooling for most everything now.

This may be a little more than you asked for but this is the inserted tooling I use for barrel work.

Pictured left to right:

Circle Industries QCBI-375-6-5R Carbide Boring Bar w/TPCH-2205-CG5 Inserts. Bolt counter bores.

Circle Industries FCBI-250-4-5R Carbide Boring Bar w/TDAB-505-CG5 Inserts. Pre-boring chambers.

Kennametal E08SDUPR2 Carbide Boring Bar w/DPGT2151HP KC5010 Inserts. Sharp high positive insert. Crowns, cones.

Kennametal SDJCRF082D Turning Holder w/DCGT2151HP KC5010 Inserts. Sharp high positive insert. Relieving root of tenon at shoulder for recoil lug clearance.

Iscar SWAPR-1414-06 Turning Holder w/WPEX060402R08 IC908 Inserts. Finish turning tenons.

Not pictured:

Seco MWLNR-10-3A Turning Holder w/WNMG060408-M3 TP200 Inserts. Facing and roughing tenons.

Iscar SER0625H16 Threading Holder. My preference is to use full profile inserts in IC908 grade. Threading tenons.

Attachments

• IMG_0605 - Copy2.jpg
    IMG_0605 - Copy2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
JACKPOT!!!

Finally, someone that actually posted up some useful info WITH the information that I asked for.

Not that the other posters are anything less that great, but come on, single point this or that is not giving the novice (me) any useful information.

Thanks.

Are you running a manual machine or a CNC?

PM me if you want.

Nope, I knew what y'all were talking about.

The guy that lets me practice on his lathe is an old school guy but he uses CNC now for the majority of his work (I don't get free range on that equipment) and he was doing this kind of work when grinding your own tools was the only thing out there.

I have been using what he has laying around for most of my tinkering (I'm not allowed to mess with his tool grinder, his house, his rules) but now I want MY own stuff.
Replaceable insert tools are modern technology and don't get me wrong, hand ground tools still have their place.

All I asked was for some input from the more experienced members here on what they use (pictures would be a nice touch, they help out a lot), not what is the Holy Grail or if you don't do it this way or use this or that.... I'm fully aware that there are many different ways to do things and many different tools to do work with.

I am grateful for any and all information I get and I thank those that have responded to my call.

I use carbide inserts for threading, because they are repeatable, should
I need to replace one at an odd time. Everything else is HSS. It can be honed to ultra sharp, requiring little pressure. Turning firing pins down
at the tip, HSS will take this off as a powder. Carbide has a place,HSS
can be better in some places and barrel work is one of them.

Dennis

It seems when I read your post the first time, you were speaking about aquiring some type of form tool. Did you edit it to sound more like single point tooling??

Anyway, the tool holders that WSnyder posted pictures of are pretty standard fair for small lathe work.

For what it is worth, I do not use HSS for anything. For my crowning and coning tools, I just grind a suitable tool out of a 3/8 shank cemented carbide. I use 883 grade. For everything else, I use insert tool holders.

For crowning, I grind a .060 radius positive rake chip breaker on the tool with practically no radius on the nose.

I do have an advantage as I have a Cincinnati Tool Grinder.........jackie

See, we can all live in harmony...

This is the input I was looking for.....

Thanks.

Some of the terminology about the rakes and radiuses does not register with me (YET, that's why pictures really help) but with the information I can make things happen.

I use this.......

..hope this shows what you are looking for! I adjust the angle on the compound and scroll towards me or away from the bore.......... Jan

Attachments

• DSC01017.jpg
    DSC01017.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 503
  • DSC01016.jpg
    DSC01016.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 527
Last edited by a moderator:
As Bob said above, hand ground HSS or HSSCO with a honed sharp edge and 15 degree or more positive lip is best. Machine from the bore out, not the OD in.

If you insist on using a carbide insert, make sure it if one of the ground, sharp edge inserts and the spindle speed at the barrel bore should be in the 200-250 SFM range. That translates to about 3100-3800 RPM for the metal to flow across the carbide efficiently.

Just confirming what my eyes see...

..hope this shows what you are looking for! I adjust the angle on the compound and scroll towards me or away from the bore.......... Jan

Jan,

This is a left-hand turning tool, correct?

Is this tool ground with a belt or wheel?

Thx!

Wally

Back