Concrete Bench Question

Codeman

I'm constructing a two shooter concrete bench on my property. I have the design all figured out - but there is about a 12' drop from the bench location to the backstop at 100 yds. Should I make the bench top run parallel to the slope or level. At the 200 yd mark there is about 15' to 20' drop. Ill be shooting off an edgewood rear bag and pedestal front (caldwell BR). Is there any inherent problems shooting downhill on a top that also runs downhill.

Last edited:
Hmmm

JMO but I would make it level with the earth. Everthing will want to be rolling off if you don't. Compensate for the drop with the front rest and rear bag........jackie

Maybe I'm unusual, but I get a severe case of the dropsies every once in awhile that nearly drives me nuts. Cases, and everything else that can roll will roll and it's likely to drive you to distraction pretty rapidly if you slope the bench to match the slope to the target up or down. Make the bench top as level as you can, and put something under the rear bag if necessary to get the muzzle down far enough.

Codeman
When I built my bench I had the same problem. I set my bench top parallel with the target and I like the way it turned out. I put a blanket or piece of carpet on the top and it keeps the problem of rolling to a minimum but things can roll if you don't set then right. If I was doing it again I would do it the same way.
To each his own, everybody skins the cat a little different.

Glenn

down better than up

At my home range in wabash IN. you shoot down about the amount said apossed to good ole beverdale PA. whitch is up hill it a pain to get to there 500y tagets

If you build a conc. block tee with a prefabed conc top you could fix it so that if setting it level doesn't work you could tip the top forward so as to get a downward slope. The range at Luther OK has tilted down in front tops as the 200 yd targets are elevated quite a bit above the 100 yd ones. All depends on whether your 100 and 200 targets are at the same level.

Donald

The top is going to poured at one time with the legs (monolithic)
Im worried about having to place something under the rear bag that makes the rest unstable, I dont want to do all this work and have a wobbly rear bag set up. Besides the problem of having things roll off the top is there any other problems that may occur.

According to my calculations the top would be 1 1/2" to 2" out of level in 5'.

I just finished my concrete bench in early November. I had been shooting down the same lane into the same frame/dug-in backstop off of a slightly upward-tilted wooden bench for about the past 10 years. I have about 6 1/2' of rise to the 100 yard target, and made the top level. I have to raise my Farley rest nearly all the way up and use the leveling screws to tilt the rest back in order to keep the stock sitting right in the front bag. I'm not unhappy with the outcome, but I do intend on deepening the cut and lowering the target frame as soon as the ground firms up this spring.

My suggestion is to consider angling the bench downward slightly........not so much that everything you lay down wants to roll away, but enough that you won't have to build a wobbly pile of spacers under the rear bag or have to shoot in an awkward position. It seems that most shooters put a towel or piece of carpet down before they lay anything on the bench anyway. I can't think of anything I use at the bench that would roll off if the top were tilted slightly.

-Dave-:)

Since concrete is such a permanent, and hard to modify material, I suggest that you do a prototype in wood, and try it both ways. We shoot down hill at the Visalia range (level bench tops) , and one thing that helped me was to have the bottom of my Hart rest base machined off flat, even with the bottom of the center hub. If it turns out that you need a spacer (in addition to the tallest rear bag that you can find) you might want to try a single thickness of 90 durometer neoprene. I had one for a rather short "Haydon Hump" that was made of 1" thick material, and it worked perfectly, no induced roll or bounce. If you decide to try making one, ask for a scrap at an industrial rubber supplier. Luckily, we have one in Fresno.

Codeman ...

I'm constructing a two shooter concrete bench on my property. I have the design all figured out - but there is about a 12' drop from the bench location to the backstop at 100 yds. Should I make the bench top run parallel to the slope or level. At the 200 yd mark there is about 15' to 20' drop. Ill be shooting off an edgewood rear bag and pedestal front (caldwell BR). Is there any inherent problems shooting downhill on a top that also runs downhill.

What's the feasibility of lowering the earth at the bench end of your range and raising the target area ??? Just another option. Bulldozer available ??? Just a little brainstorming / thinking out of the box.

A good 3/4 inch spacer for a rear bag can be bought at some ag supply stores. It comes as a 4x5 foot sheet of reconstitited ground up tires. I think they are used as horse stall mats. Cost is about $35 or so. I bought one and cut out a piece to just fit one of my rear bags. Put the rest in the bed of my pick up. Glued and stitched the corners of the bag to the piece of rubber. Very stable and took the rock and roll out of the bag. Recently put a layer of silicone rubber around the bottom of the rubber spacer and that makes it stick better to smooth tops. Just another idea. Plus it is legal.

Donald

Another approach----

backed up by zero experience.

Could you build your table top form with a step between the front rest and rear bag ?

This could give you level top surfaces plus cover the height differential between bench top and target.

Good luck.

A.Weldy

compromise

I made mine using a 3 ft well tile with a very large flat rock on top. I made it level to the ground and sort of wish I'd sloped it a bit. A bit of slope will prevent rain puddles. Since you are only talking about a max of 2 inches in 5 feet...why not go with something in between...like a 1 inch slope which should be enough to drain it yet keep within adjustments of your front rest.

My range is down hill too. When I poured my top, I jacked it up in the rear so the rest/bags were about normal pointing at the target. It's not extreme by any means, but why raise or lower when you don't have to? Your rifle will be raised or lowered either way, so why make it difficult?

I vote for FLAT and I've built a bunch of them. You will regret an inch of taper IMO. An inch or inch and a half is HUGE! I pour concrete for a living and that's an enormous rate of pitch. Your coffee cup's gonna' tip over! :)

As far as water puddling, this is a non-issue provided you've got someone with concrete experience.......just make it FLAT or with a small (1/8"-1/4") crown.

Even if it does puddle, how often do you shoot in pouring rain?

I've shot off of 3 pitched and at least a dozen flat and at least for ME I just detest the pitch. It's dead easy to make up for pitch in the range but NOT by pitching the table surface.

al

Well I just formed it up and I'm putting 1.5" fall in about 51"

I set the forms up and set up my bag and rest(with the top level) with the front rest all the way down I was looking 5' over my back stop. I think there is more like 15' fall in 100yards

This is ALOT of work and I'm hoping I'm making the right decision

Thanks for everyones input

Cody

Im worried about having to place something under the rear bag that makes the rest unstable, I dont want to do all this work and have a wobbly rear bag set up. Besides the problem of having things roll off the top is there any other problems that may occur.

According to my calculations the top would be 1 1/2" to 2" out of level in 5'.

Codeman, Build it level because it is enough trouble just building a good bench. Your rest will probably have enough adjustment to take care of the problem, if not you can use a block of wood. Your target will be raised off the ground some, I assume, so the slope will not be that great.

At our range we have a slope of 17 feet at the 200 yard line and we didn't know about it for the first 25 years.

It just won't make any difference at all to anyone shooting and your cases will not roll off if you make it level. All that being said, it is your range and your bench and I will be glad to shoot off of it regardless of how you build it when you finish all the hard work.:)

Concho Bill

Back