commercialize the 30BR?

tiny68

I know this should in the factory forum, but you guys are the 30BR pros. Why doesn't a major manufacture offer the 30BR in a factory chambering. I just started playing with one and I am blow away by its accuracy and efficiency! It would fit any short action and should feed well in a magazine. Does someone hold the patten on the cartridge? I just don't get it. Aside from the cost and unavailability of 30 bullets, this seems to be a dream cartridge. But, then again I have never owned a 6PPC that all of you group shooters win with.

Just curious, tiny

tiny68,

For WHAT? The Sporting Goods Industry is supported by hunters and this niche seems pretty small.

Making brass is a small price to pay for a comp gun, 'specially when ya' gotta' do it anyway.....even for standardized cases.

al

Tiny, the problem with a firearms mfg. producing a 'factory' 30BR is that by the time they hog tied it with out-to-lunch chamber specs:eek:....in a $8 barrel:eek:....with totally inappropraite twist rate:eek:....tried to make it feed from a magazine:eek:....and lashed this whole mess into some piece of Tupperware passing for a stock:eek:....any and all vestiges of the wonderful cartridge that we once knew as the 30BR would be gone. :mad:

I'd rather they didn't make the attempt. :) -Al

Al's right. Besides...

The vast majority of people who buy guns are convinced that bigger is better. The people on this site are way more sophisticated than the soldier of fortune types I see hanging around the huge gunshop we have here in Clare.

If I were younger I would make myself another deer rifle on a Ruger No. 1 in a 30 BR. I could drive the natives crazy by simply showing them the cartridge.

What I'm saying is it ain't macho enough. This is exactly like the car thing... there are Porsche people and Humvee people. They don't understand each other. FWIW I live in the Michigan Northwoods. People come here to fish and hunt and to hang around our bars. I'm noticing there are many fewer Hummers, Navigators and other absurd monstrosities on the highway this year.:D

Dick

If Lapua were to make 30 BR cases, It would take at the least
one less step, maybe two. The case could sell for the same price
as 6BR cases. It would no doubt be more profitable with that
consideration. A big plus for everyone

Dick,
My Grandson shoots a 30BR Mod 7 Remington with 125gr. bullets. He has 6 one shot kills on deer and feral hogs. I want to rebarrel it in 6.5x47 and he said BS.
Butch

I know this should in the factory forum, but you guys are the 30BR pros. Why doesn't a major manufacture offer the 30BR in a factory chambering. I just started playing with one and I am blow away by its accuracy and efficiency! It would fit any short action and should feed well in a magazine. Does someone hold the patten on the cartridge? I just don't get it. Aside from the cost and unavailability of 30 bullets, this seems to be a dream cartridge. But, then again I have never owned a 6PPC that all of you group shooters win with.

Just curious, tiny

It's not like the factories couldn't produce an accurate 30BR rifle, even if it did come from their custom shop, and cost a good bit more than the standard offering. It would just require a better barrel, and cleaning up the "mess" with the factory action, plus a little careful attention.

I just did my first barreling and action truing job (30BR), and it turned out fairly well for a rank novice. I used a new Rem 700 ADL action, put it in an old BDL stock with new trigger guard and floor plate, reworked the factory trigger, and bedded with steel bed. I also made a fore end "adapter" to let it work with a 3" front bag. It shoots pretty well so far, even though I have only had it at the range a couple of times, and am still doing load development.

Sorry for posting the photos again, but I thought it was a pretty good example of what the factories could produce if they wanted to. I couldn't have done it if there was any deep, dark secret to it, requiring vast experience and knowledge ;). The factories could too, if they wanted.

Jim

Wooten-30BR010copy4.jpg

Rem700-30BRSecondTarget-2copy7.jpg

I would love a .30 BR, but there are a few reasons the factories aren't making them. If Lapua or Norma started making .30 BR brass, then they would just see less 6 BR with the total number BR cases remaining near the same, unless something sparked a new interest in the 30 BR. Why make up new tooling to sell the same amount of cases? As a hunting gun, it's a neat little round, but it's un-needed. For a hunting round a .308 is relatively mild and both Remington(through Zastava of Serbia) and CZ are offering the 7.62X39 for those looking for an even milder .30. If you want something a little more potent than 7.62x39, you can always just load 125's in the .308 or go with the ever popular .243. Most of the guns they sold would just be offset by selling fewer guns in already developed calibers. From a factory standpoint the .30 BR is mostly a waste. When you start going through the custom shops of these manufactures you can often just get a custom gunsmith to build you what you want for not too much more money.

Back