comments about the IBS proposed 10-ring change

If the bullet is being pushed by the wind it enters at an angle and when the plug is put into the hole it will follow the angle of the bullet hole and does not go straight in. The only way it will go in straight is if it is pushed into the target. That said in a green wing a bullet short of the bull gets pulled by the plug towards the bull while a bullet past the bull is pulled away from the bull. This is why the reticle was adopted.

All of that is pretty much out the window when those scoring turn the target over and push the frayed paper in and flatten it out. This is a common practice when using the Reticle. People use to fret over pushing the plug exactly in, etc, etc, etc , and all for naught. Flatten the hole and use a plug and see where the hole is as with the reticle.

The two biggest problems I have observed with the use of the reticle is many of the people using it don't do as the directions say and look through the magnifier 1" above it and look straight down.. I have seen a number of folks a lot farther away than an inch and some looking at various angles, etc. That ain't what the directions say. Anonter issue is oval shaped holes that exceed the margins of the center ring. It becomes somewhat subjective as to where the circle centers up and this isn't the only instance of where circumstances are not cut and dried. Give me a plug anytime and I believe a better decision will be reached.

Who makes the final call if the new targets are to be used? I am not sure how all that works.
I haven’t shot any of the new targets but I can see were they might benefit the game. Just an opinion of course. Hell I didn’t even know a new target was being considered. I would love to get my hands on one or two.
The paper issue is an issue I noticed some time back. I didn’t give it much thought other than a thought to myself. I know cardboard isn’t an option, but I love to shoot cardboard as it is very easy to measure on. Lee

If the bullet is being pushed by the wind it enters at an angle ..........
Even if the bullet is being pushed by a 30 mph wind, the bullet angle of entry would be minor. The scorer stands a much greater chance of plugging at an angle.

Now, all that being said lets get back to providing feedback to the IBS about the proposed target change(s).

Jerry I really think tangent dots in a circle is a way to meet both views. It breaks up the solid line but still gives a aiming circle of the same thickness

Don't know if this is true -- I'm now guilty of reporting "what some guy said" -- but it's reported that a target can really be plugged only once. That means if it's plugged at the range for initial scoring, then if it's a potential record, the records committee may have a problem.

Obviously, that would not be true of a reticle. Just as obvious, most targets aren't potential records...

As for paper -- I know a lot about the pre-press side of printing, a lot less about the press side. Couple of people here have a printing background -- R.G. Robinett, for one.

That said, we've had customers who have bought & had the printer store a boxcar's worth of paper. It is cheaper that way, and you can usually get what you want, if you can wait until the mill makes a run. Takes money up front, though

As to the thinner ring -- yeah, older eyes can have a problem. I prefer the heavy ring for a couple reasons, including judging mirage, but I'd hope it's not such a big deal anyone would quit shooting if the smaller ring were used. Pretty much a matter of an up & down vote, I'd think.

Back