Colour cased actions, good or bad idea?

Hi Gang:

I saw a custom rifle built on a Mauser 98 action that had the bolt and action colour case hardened. I am thinking that this would be a possible way to warp an action or bolt and perhaps change the strength of the parts.

I seem to remember that there were some military actions that were case hardened that resulted in actions being brittle and unsafe.

Oh yes, why would a person spend the money and time on a M 98 military action for a custom gun? Was not the M 98 designed to be a battle rifle with clearances to make it suitable to use in the mud, snow, sand etc. Not my idea as a good starting point for a custom rifle!

Any comments?

Thanks,

Zeke

while a 98 mauser may not make a great BR rifle, they do a fine job as a hunting rifle, and can produce some surprising accuracy(despite all the percieved shortcomings).

Some of the nicest and very expensive rifles are built on 98 Mausers. My very best customs are on mausers. Color case hardening done by a reputable firm looks good and doesn't damage the receivers. My mausers were annealed before the metal work. They were case hardened after the work is done. A couple of large heat treating firms in the USA do a lot of these and have for years. The early 1903 Springfields were known for poor heat treating. If you knew the extensive work and effort put in a woodstocked custom you would have a little better understanding. It just may not be your thing. The labor to do a walnut stock by a ACGG guild member start at $2500. They don't make a lot of money doing it either. If you want pics, I can furnish them.
Butch

Someone, I can't remember who, said that the Americans produced a good target rifle in the '03 Springfield, the Germans produced a good hunting rifle in the '98 Mauser, and the English produced a good battle rifle in the SMLE. I've seen issue '03's and '98's that were every bit as tight and smooth as a good factory hunting rifle. The Mauser handles escaping gas better than either the Springfield or the pre-64 Winchester 70 as well.

The top English gunmakers used Mauser actions before WW I, and most of the German custom hunting rifles were based on Mausers too. The old time English and German gunmakers used only the best that was available to them.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but there's nothing quite as pleasing to my eye as well turned out and finely stocked 98 Mauser. Much better than some of the modern Flash Gordon styling on some newer rifles that look like they were thought up by someone on LSD maybe.

Pictured below is a stainless 98 clone-$2500
DSC02396.jpg

Below is my 7X57 Mauser.
DSCF0037.jpg

Below is my Banner Mauser in 9.3X62
2lo67mg.jpg

2yknndf.jpg

14uesn5.jpg

I do have more photos, but just an example of nice mausers that shoot very well. They are not BR rifles.
Butch

Last edited:
Original military mausers were made of low carbon steel and were selectively case hardened for wear resistance. I don't recall what process was used but it was likely molten cyanide salts bath since that system would be suitable for mass production. Color case hardening is usually done with a carbon pack in an air tight vessel and the quench is designed to produce the beautiful colors seen on high grade guns. Warpage is allways a possibility and measures are taken to minimize it with internal blocking and jigging in critical areas. High grade shotguns like Purdey, H&H, Boss, etc. are assembled and rough fitted before case hardening and then given the final " hard fit" afterwards. Minor warpage is corrected at that stage.

RWO

Butch,

Starting with a older FN Mauser 98 action, is it necessary to anneal them before you true the action and install a new barrel? I have never rebarreled one before and plan on building out a .240 WBY on it for a rockchuck rifle. I purchased the action alone, and it came with the trigger groups and bottom metal.

I would love to case harden the action as well. It would look outstanding!

Thanks!

s.

Steve,
If I were you I would pose those questions on www.accuratereloading.com on the gunsmithing forum. All of mine have been case hardened. The consensus is that any mauser action will probably not benefit from squaring up or "blueprinting". Remember, at best it will be a 3/4 MOA rifle at best.
Butch

i will disagree with what kind of accuracy you can obtain from a mauser action, not too hard to get way better than 3/4" from one. by the same token, dont expect bugholes from one either.

Thanks the info, and if I can get it down to 1/2 MOA, then I would be very pleased. But I do realize the limitations of the action. Many thanks!

s.

Back