Coaxial question

M

Mike-T

I am thinking about making a coaxial rest. I feel that I understand approximately how they work, but I haven't seen any drawings of them to be sure. My question is why do they have two sliding plates inside? Wouldn't one captured plate work fine? If it slipped into a slot on each end that allowed it to move left and right without coming out of the slot. You would still need pressure on the plate to keep it from sliding down, but no change there. This is my first post, so if this is a really stupid question, have mercy.

Butch, I have seen in another post that you said you have made a couple of coaxial rests. could the reason for the second plate be to keep the top from twisting when in the up position? If that is the case, how does it do it?

Thanks John, I should have read a few more posts. Butch, maybe we could start manufacturing a new design rest with one plate.;) I'm still a bit puzzled so any more insight would be appreciated.

If you figure it out let me know. If you have slots to keep it from rocking on the up and down, it would prevent it from going side to side. You need the extra plate to keep it from happening.
Butch

G'day Mike

Mate it's unlikely that Butch is going to give you some detailed drawings of his rest so you can build one. After all he's in buisness to make money and you don't make any money giving away your designs.. :D:D

I have built my own coaxial rest and i have some autocad drawings of it if your interested. They are pretty much just sketches in autocad, but will give you a good idea how the two plates work and interact..
Sen me a PM or e-mail and i'll send you the drawing file..

You can see my rest here
http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63023
Cheers
leeroy

Leeroy,
I checked your rest out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, VERY NICE,,,,,,,,,,,,, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you've got way too much spare time on your hands,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Coaxial rest movement

Mike-T,
How much does the top of your rest move, left, right, up, and down? I used the tanØ=b/a. b = 200 yds, a = 1 yd., the angle is about .3°. With this I came up with the total movement of about .250 in. in both directions. How much did you get?
john

John, I would like to answer your question, but I haven't made the rest yet. Maybe Leeroy can answer.

Our new rimfire top has 22" of vertical and the same horizontal at 50yds. That is 44" at 100 and 88" at 200yds. Remember the more travel the more sensitivity you loose at distance.
Butch

Back