Cnc help

huntinco

Feedback please.
I have the following Products thus far Hass 2013 TL1 & TM2P, Surfcam, spaceclaim and I'm very happy with them so far but I'm in the market for another mill, lathe and Laser engraver & I have decided to bite off the mill first.
After shopping hard for a few months I'm considering the following. Hass VF3SSYT, VF4SS, VF5SS, Doosan 650II, Okuma M560-V OR Morri DuraVertical 5100.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Hass because of price & i already have a small 4th axis but the Doosan dealer has a deal that's almost to hard to pass up however the thoughts of learning a new control is not what i really want to do! I also do not plan on purchasing another mill for quite some time so i want to get it right the first time. HELP!

A few months ago I bought a new VF2SSYT with a 15K spindle and the new HRC210 high speed rotary. I really love it. They are VERY good machines. I also have a VF2 and VF3 I've had for 19 years and they are still producing precision parts. The new machines are far improved from the old ones so you can expect a good long useful life. I also highly recommend the Renishaw probing package they offer. If I were buying one for gunsmithing work I would lean towards the VF3 or VF4. With the rotary and tailstock mounted on the VF2 there is only about 20 inches of good useable X travel left. The VF3 and VF4 share the same machine base so the price difference isn't huge. The VF5 is a much bigger machine. I haven't found the Y travel to be very limiting on the VF3 for what I do. I don't make many parts larger than will fit in the 20 inches of Y travel.

I can't comment on Doosan or the others since I've had such success with the Haas. A few times I've strayed and bought into more expensive and "higher quality" :rolleyes: machines of the Fanuc control variety. I keep running back to Haas though. The user friendliness of the control and the cost of maintenance is hard to put into perspective until you've traveled the road. Ie. a Fanuc servo amp for a Kitamura was upwards of $5K where a similar servo amp on a Haas is less than $1500. A replacement spindle on a Kitamura I had was $20K plus factory service calls plus no guarantee of quick availability. A similar Haas spindle is around $4K, I can have one in a day and change it out myself in a few hours...... And get this - the Haas spindle actually worked better!

Copied this thread to the "Gunsmith's Corner" just in case there's folks that read there...and not here.

Thanks guys for the input. After carful consideration I went with the Okuma M560V but it was a hard decision between it and the Mazack 530C. Now onto a Lathe with a Sub & Y

Back