CM barrel accuracy

P

PPP MMM

All I can see here is SS barrels. My question is; Is it possible for CM barrel to shoot equally as good as SS barrel, provided that both are finished to the same tolerances.? If not, why not?

Shoot well
Peter

The hooker with CM barrels is sometimes lapping is an extra cost option that the buyer won't spring for. Then they badmouth the maker for poor quality.

I'll expand the question

With all things being equal, (except the steel of course) Absolutely

I have no doubt that for certain number of shots the accuracy would be the same. What's the real difference what makes the SS barrels so dominant in numbers on the line?

Shoot well
Peter

I have no doubt that for certain number of shots the accuracy would be the same. What's the real difference what makes the SS barrels so dominant in numbers on the line?

Shoot well
Peter
Well, if you’re talking CM Factory versus SS Custom, there's really no comparison. I don’t even think you can get a Shilen Lone Star anymore, CM. Remember, all things being equal. The whole manufacturing / stress relieving process is the real difference, other than steel of course. After 8-10 shots from a factory CM barrel the stresses of the steel start to work their magic and move your shots around but, whats the real question Peter???

Why even wonder "why" when we have so many excellent barrel manufactures out there that use SS, I wouldnt even concider a CM barrel, ever ;)

Shoot well
Peter

Machinability and consistency
Eventually leading to accuracy

Shoot well
Peter
Overall cost and ease of machining-with CM you have the extra cost of blueing. You also have to stay on your toes about rust! With everything else being equal the CM will shoot toe to toe with SS with a little better barrel life!

The Most accurate bbl I ever owned was a Wilson 6mm/243 CM heavy bbl on a Tikka 595. I have owned MANY, MANY rifles and custom bbls, but this was the most accurate. 200 yard 1/4" groups were normal. Sometimes they opened up to just under 1/2". I know this was probably just a lucky bbl, but it was CM.

Chris

Karls42, We don't charge extra for lapping a c.m. barrel. What's the difference in lapping a c.m. barrel vs. a s.s.

Yes the c.m. does machine a little different than s.s. (little tougher I guess is how I explain it) but int the end all being equal they don't shoot any different.

The only difference is yes the c.m. barrel is not as forgiving when it comes to rust. The s.s. can corrode/pit but it is more forgiving. Most will put some sort of finish on the c.m. barrels so that does cost extra. I've seen guys shoot c.m. barrels in matches and leave them in the white. Just wipe them down with oil etc...and take care of them.

I have a couple of c.m. barrels on my match rifles and all of my hunting rifles. They shoot just as good as any of my s.s. barrels. In fact I shot my 6x47 Lapua chambered s.s. barrel and my 7mm c.m. barrel at a 1000 yds. last week. I can put the hurt on you with either one.

Why do I put a s.s. barrels on most of my match rifles. Saves me time and some $$$ in putting a finish on it.

I do see some positives in the c.m. over s.s. so don't be afraid to try one. This topic has been talked about before on these forums. Do some digging.

Later, Frank @ Bartlein Barrels

P.S. I agree with 300ACK! Also it is possible for better barrel life. I lean towards c.m. on this. I've seen both c.m. and s.s. last along time with everything being equal but can't put an exact number/percentage on it. Just what I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Frank

I always like and appreciate when a straight honest answer comes directly from a man who's regarded as one of the top leading experts in the barrel making industry.

I always preffer the CM, but I don't shoot in competitions.

Shoot better
Peter

I have used 2 CM barrels on my BR rifles and they are every bit as good as a SS barrel. I don't know why anybody would think differently.
Butch

Butch

I have used 2 CM barrels on my BR rifles and they are every bit as good as a SS barrel. I don't know why anybody would think differently.
Butch

Butch, how often do you clean your CM barrels on your Benchrest rifles?
Could you please elaborate on the subject a little?

Thanks

Shoot better
Peter

I cleaned both of mine just like the SS barrels. After every group. One of the barrels was outstanding and the other was average. I really don't know why I haven't ordered more.
Butch

Thanks Butch

I cleaned both of mine just like the SS barrels. After every group. One of the barrels was outstanding and the other was average. I really don't know why I haven't ordered more.
Butch

Shoot better
Peter

Back