Close call but now I trust right bolt left port actions...

Haven't been shooting much last year and a half due to big work respondsibility and a two year old daughter. Been curious how the couple of jugs of Russian 4198 would do in my Waldog. Worked up slowly. Right away I could see that it was faster then the two commercial 4198 but so what, burn speed only relative.

As I came up the groups got smaller but not tiny. Then I got a group that measured a .220 at 200 yards.
Then I double checked a half click lower. Nope getting bigger again. Then I got careless and skipped up a full click from there, which would be half click above the .220 group which was hot already I might add.

Pulled the trigger and the bolt wouldn't open without mallet. I popped the primer and the little case was now BELTED!!!

What surprised me is this Stiller Viper allowed ZERO gas near my face. I am very impressed indeed and hopefully wiser concerning shooting glasses.

Tim jurczak

"I am very impressed indeed and hopefully wiser concerning shooting glasses."

And maybe shooting Russian 4198 in it too! :)

Dangerous

Don't put two much trust in the safety of left port when pressures get hi enough to blow primes out. I had a good friend, shooting in a match @ Roanoke Va. He was shooting REL 7. He got his load about a full gr. above his normal load, squeezed the trigger. The case seperated and a shiver of brass got by the bolt and went into his eye. He was immediately transported to hospital in Roanoke. He could see for some years later, but eventually lost the eye.
I don't always do it, but it would be very wise to wear glasses, especially when shooting loads on the upper end.
Haven't been shooting much last year and a half due to big work respondsibility and a two year old daughter. Been curious how the couple of jugs of Russian 4198 would do in my Waldog. Worked up slowly. Right away I could see that it was faster then the two commercial 4198 but so what, burn speed only relative.

As I came up the groups got smaller but not tiny. Then I got a group that measured a .220 at 200 yards.
Then I double checked a half click lower. Nope getting bigger again. Then I got careless and skipped up a full click from there, which would be half click above the .220 group which was hot already I might add.

Pulled the trigger and the bolt wouldn't open without mallet. I popped the primer and the little case was now BELTED!!!

What surprised me is this Stiller Viper allowed ZERO gas near my face. I am very impressed indeed and hopefully wiser concerning shooting glasses.

Tim jurczak

Maybe. Here's one I photographed earlier - a barrel incorrectly fitted to a Barnard Palma action. The plumber allowed too much gap for the cone d breech.

emiles.jpg

Boy, mine wasn't that bad but had a distinct raised area around the web. I would hate to say the gunsmith did anything wrong in this instance. Combination of hotrodding and a incorrectly named surplus powder.

As far as I'm concerned the powder should be called Russian 1680...

Tim Jurczak

As far as I'm concerned the powder should be called Russian 1680

Hot stuff hu Tim...! AA2200 pull down is just as scary....... It's like....>>> Little warm... Ok, .3gr more....... WOWooW..!

Shooting glasses my friends..! Always please, does not take much in the ole peeper to well you know.
cale

With the certainty of offending a significant number of shooters, let me say that not wearing eye protection should not be an option at any range or shooting event, and that those that are offended by this have a significant gap in their intelligence. IMO, the requirement to wear eye protection should be a condition of being on any firing line, while it is "hot", whether one is actually shooting or not.

and that those that are offended by this have a significant gap in their intelligence. IMO, the requirement to wear eye protection should be a condition of being on any firing line, while it is "hot", whether one is actually shooting or not.

I'd have to disagree Boyd. It has nothing to do with intelligence.
I have never been able to find a pair that sits right on my nose while wearing ear muffs. The result is I have to shift them around until they are so close to my face that they either fog up or they appear distorted because I'm looking along the glass instead of through it.
If I'm testing what might be a hot load, I will put a pair on for a few minutes, but I can't shoot competitive BR with them and expect to hit my target. If I go to a range for a match and they mandate me to use glasses, I will leave.

Last edited:
I'd have to disagree Boyd. It has nothing to do with intelligence.
I have never been able to find a pair that sits right on my nose while wearing ear muffs. The result is I have to shift them around until they are so close to my face that they either fog up or they appear distorted because I'm looking along the glass instead of through it.
If I'm testing what might be a hot load, I will put a pair on for a few minutes, but I can't shoot competitive BR with them and expect to hit my target. If I go to a range for a match and they mandate me to use glasses, I will leave.

Goodgrouper,
You will not be allowed to shoot on our range then. The Albany Rifle and Pistol Club requires both eye and ear protection for anyone on the firing line.
I have seen too many times when this was a problem. Some people think it isn't a big deal when shooting .22's but it is.
I shoot left handed and I will not shoot semi-auto if I can help it for this very problem.
There are many ways to solve the eye protection and ear protection at the same time. You just have to figure it out.
I agree with Boyd.

ballpowder,
I wonder if the "zero gas back in the face" would have been the same if this was not the Stiller Viper action?

I shot with a guy in Seattle who lost an eye when a rifle he was shooting blew a primer and shot hot gas/brass particles/whatever else straight back into his eye. Whenever he saw someone shooting without glasses he made a definite point of telling them to wear glasses.

As for wearing glasses and ear protection I have to wear glasses to be able to see well enough to do most everything unless it's right under my nose. A pair of glasses with thin metal bows works best for me. More comfortable and no problem with muffs moving the glasses around.

Back