cleaning rods

I have always understood that brass rods were not a good idea because grit could more easily become imbedded in the soft metal, and act as a lap. I started out cleaning barrels with a three piece aluminum rod and a loop jag. Luckily, the barrel was not stainless, and I did not clean it much before someone told me why I needed different equipment.

For what it is worth

Depending on who's bore guide you are using, selecting a different diameter may not fit the rear section of your bore guide. Ie, Lucas bore guide is a two piece unit.
I remember speaking with Mike and he requested my Dewey rod diameter so the rear piece would be correct.
I also wipe my rod every time I remove from the barrel.
Centerfire

Boyd, you're correct. Brass can trap particles if it isn't polished mirror smooth. And like anything, the user still has to keep the rod clean (just like a Dewey). My dad prefers brass because it's quite a bit softer than stainless. If it were to touch the lands it's less likely to abrade than say a harder alloy (ie, SS). Materials aside, I agree that technique is paramount.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

If you go the Ivy route as I have a few times.

Get the Jag built right on the rod as you will not get any false readings on your patches.

But doesn't that mean you can't use a bore brush? I use nickel-plated jags to get the same result, and can still use a bore brush.

I don't know anyone that shoots BR and has only one rod. You need two, one with the jag, one with the brush. You don't have enough time between relays or matches to be messing around switching jags and brushes. I think the same holds true for the weekend shooter. You can spend time switching or shooting.

I don't know anyone that shoots BR and has only one rod. You need two, one with the jag, one with the brush. You don't have enough time between relays or matches to be messing around switching jags and brushes. I think the same holds true for the weekend shooter. You can spend time switching or shooting.

I have 6 or 7 rods of varying lengths, so you're right about having more than one rod. But I can switch tips pretty fast! :D

Keeping the rod clean is paramount

Aside from that requirement, you need two rods, a bore guide and a rod holder - a cleanable rod holder. Remember that you're cleaning the barrel and not going through the motions. Look at what you're doing here and make your decisions as you see fit. The stainless rod won't come undone and the coated rod can be bought cheaper - I think.

I wouldn't begin to discuss which is the better rod....

Back