Cleaning rod question

You have a much better chance of doing barrel damage with a coated rod embedded with trash than a polished hardened metal rod.
Butch

The worst rods made are the carbon fiber or graphite rods! Have you seen one shatter? I have.

This is your opinion.

Have you ever seen a S/S, or any other steel hardened or otherwise bend? I have.

A little story that may...or may not relate to carbon fiber cleaning rods:
For many years, the club that I used to belong to hosted a large black powder shoot, and there was an active local BP club. At some point some BP shooters switched from wood loading rods to the then new fiberglass rods, because the wood rods sometimes broke in use, and the fiberglass ones did not. This went on until they realized that the increased abrasiveness of the fiberglass rods had belled the muzzles of their barrels, at which they switched to something else. This has made me doubtful of the supposed advantages of the carbon fiber cleaning rods, given the similarities of their construction to the fiberglass loading rods. Of course, one of the great things about a hobby is that you get to make your own equipment choices. I have been lucky. I have an old Parker Hale rod that has survived with one small place where the coating is missing, a Dewey coated rod that has its coating intact, and has lasted so long that it has been refitted with the newer handle with better bearings that they now have, a Bore Tech set that has one small spot where the coating has failed, and a couple of other brands that are in good order. I take pains with the use of rods, paying close attention as I stroke them in barrels, and wipe them off each time they are removed from a barrel. This is in contrast to how I see many shooters use theirs, where rapid thrashing back and forth, with a great deal of handle position induced bowing is more the norm. I am sure that gunsmiths and barrel makers are comforted by these habits, since they tend to reduce barrels accurate service lives.

This is your opinion.

Have you ever seen a S/S, or any other steel hardened or otherwise bend? I have.

Not opinion, it's a fact. A local shooter here had one snap and still suffers from tendon damage to his hand.....ever see how jagged and splintery a CF rod looks after snapping? I have posted this on several forums in the past, but some still argue that CF rods are the best thing going. Also, if one reads the customer reviews on the various vendor websites one will find that the smaller diameter CF rods are notorious for snapping.
I believe it would be extremely difficult to bend a properly sized for caliber, HARDENED STEEL quality rod like Ivy, Bore-tech, or Dewey in normal usage.

Last edited:
Rod Guides:

All those who offer rod guides for sale should at least look at the Barrel Saver. There is no doubt, in my mind at least, that a cleaning rod should be supported in the center of the bore with as much of the bore guide doing it as possible. Most of the other guides either have no support or a very short one toward the far end of the guide. In my opinion, some of the guides that are highly praised aren't worthy of the praise.

Cleaning Rods

I professionally clean guns and I have been extremely happy with ProShot Rods and everything else they carry from Brushes, Bore Mops, Snap Caps etc.

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

Anybody that was fool enough to put so much pressure on a hardered to put a bend in it deserves to have a bent one. Will a coated rod not bend? Yes they will, I bent one over my knee.
I'm not trying to change your mind as you can use whatever you choose.
Butch

This has made me doubtful of the supposed advantages of the carbon fiber cleaning rods, given the similarities of their construction to the fiberglass loading rods.

I have taken a piece of cold rolled steel mounted in my lathe with a weighted carbon fiber rod pressing against the steel. Let it run overnight, no groove in the steel or wear detected. Lots of carbon dust/particals in the area where the rod ran against the steel and the rod worn almost in half.

Carbon fiber is entirely different than fiberglass rod. Completely different animal.

Back