Cleaning rod question

O

osofaraway

I've been out of Benchrest for 15 or more years and my old Dewy rods need replacing, what rods seem to be used the most now? Thanks, David Boswell

Don't know which are being used the most, but I have been using the Bore tech cleaning rods for many years now and am very satisfied with them. Also have Dewey's and since they redesigned their handles (bearing race) they too are also very good. A lot of good choices out there.

Another alternative are the Pro Shot polished stainless rods. A friend was not happy about the amount of flex that he was getting, starting a new brush, with a coated rod, a Dewey I believe. He switched his brushing rod to a Pro Shot and is quite satisfied. I have not seen them, but a friend who is a very experienced Benchrest shooter, and who does his own barreling, uses Dewey polished stainless rods. I have not seen one. Perhaps someone will give us a report.

+1 Dewey & boretech....both are good. Take whichever you get the best price on. The Boretech doesn't have the female adapter. The Dewey does. Matter of personal preference.

I bought Bore Techs when they came on the market. In less than 6 months the coating was stripping off. I called them and was told in essence "too bad". They would not stand behind their product. I don't know if things has changed since then, but that is the most despicable way of doing business I've ever heard of, especially in this shooting community.

I've had Dewey's for over 15 years with no problems at all, and used a lot! I have Pro Shot stainless and love them.

Check out Denny Phillips, ivyrods.com.. He'll make length and caliber to your choice. He just posted this morning on Saubier.com .Hope this helps.
Mack

I bought Bore Techs when they came on the market. In less than 6 months the coating was stripping off.

Wayne, your coated Bore Tech rods lasted longer than mine! I don't think mine lasted 6 weeks!! I threw two in a trash barrel in Sacramento and never thought about them again - I sure didn't want them replaced with more like 'em. They were soon replaced with Denny Phillips's stainless steel rods and I don't have any intentions of using anything else any time soon.

Ryan

Well Wayne I for one am glad to know that but ........now that you have posted that up here and I do believe they advertise here you know the inevitable will happen...this thread will be deleted because someone dared speak against an advertiser even it it is the truth.

On a positive note I have a coated dewy that I have been using for 6-7 years

Last edited:
Vern, if it gets pulled, that's OK. But let me say, any supplier that sells an inferior product, and won't stand behind it, deserves to be called out. I've posted this very thing many time over the past 10 years.

On the flip side, let me relate a story. I had not long been into BR, had a Hart pedestal with no windage top. I ordered one from Sinclair's. I put it on and was not particularly impressed, it had a lot of slop in it. But since I couldn't afford to get something different, I put up with it for quite a while. Came home from work one day and a package was there, from Sinclair's. In it, was a new, redesigned windage top, and a letter. They had gotten bad feedback on the top I had (I never called or complained) so they made new ones, better ones, and sent out these replacements to all that had one of the old ones. FREE OF CHARGE, and in my case, unsolicited!

Now this is an example of an upright, top shelf company, that stands more than 100% behind something they sell. Sorry to say, but that set the bar for me of what to expect from a shooter's supplier.

Last edited:
Wayne I agree 100%.
I think it could do the industry good if they could and would listen to what comes up on the forums about problems with their products and customer service.
I figure this site somehow gives cartblanc in their advertising contracts and therefore deletes the negative responses.
I feel like if they left them within reason and as long as it was truth and not just malicious rumor and gossip that it would help those that really wanted their products and service to be quality oriented.
But so many times I see something negative come up on a forum about an advertising sponsor and bing it gone.
Seems like we loose the freedom of speech no matter where we look or go.
Thats my story and I am sticking too it... though I could be ignorant in some of these things regarding this site.

Oso, Just a thought but who's bore guide are you using. My Lucas has that rear part that should be sized to your brand of cleaning rod. I use the Dewey but I am sure others are fine also.
Centerfire

Well said,

In my opinion, which I value dearly, the stainless steel rods are the way to go. There is more flex in a coated rod than in a steel rod, especially in the smaller calibers. We use Pro-Shot and recommend them. Others use Ivy Rod and Dewey Stainless and are happy with those choices. The two important things to remember are to be sure your cleaning rod is clean at all times, whether you use a naked or a coated rod. The second important step is to use a proper rod guide. The Lucas rod guide and insert are an excellent choice. The Cadillac of guides is the one by T.K. Nollan called the Bore Saver. The third of the two important reminders is to use your cleaning rod in a proper manner. Be sure you push the rod as staight as possible into the guide. We have seen what looked looked like archery bows going in and out of the bore guides at the range.

Francis, I don't think I have ever heard it said better. Right on! :D

Gene Beggs

I use Ivy and ProShot stainless on my competition barrels with TK Nolan's bore guide. The worst rods made are the carbon fiber or graphite rods! Have you seen one shatter? I have.
Butch

I use a Dewey rod with a Lucas guide with good results. The rod did flex when I use to use brushes. My barrel no longer sees a brush so the flexing is not an issue for me. I use cotton patches soaked with BB followed by KG-12 with excellent results (no brushes). Barrel cleans up quickly w\o a brush or jag.

Gentlemen,

if the coating comes off of a rod, WHAT is left remaining??

jbordi,
You may look at your bore with a borescope.
Butch

Butch,

I knew someone would ask me that. I do use a bore light to inspect for copper with q-tip at the crown. I understand that this is no borescope, but I actually prefer to use the results on my target to tell me how my barrel performs. I may invest in a borescpe someday?

Jbordi

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen, back in the day ss rods were thought to scratch/damage the rifling, I don't think I ever saw one being used. From what I can tell from the responses those using the ss rods have a bore guide fitted to the rod? Is that the key to using them without damaging the rifling or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back